Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-06-2004 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber

Boc Modeling

Recently I have been reading alot about a technique of modeling called "Box Modeling" What is box modeling? Also, what other types of modeling are there? Thanks in advance

- Kaiser

# 2 22-06-2004 , 08:15 PM
The Maya Mountain
If I'm not mistaken, Box Modeling is the process of starting with a cube and splitting, extruding, etc from there.

Not sure what the other modeling techniques are called persay, but there's the process of drawing your model in the side view on a plane and extruding that out (HobbitGuy has a tut on this, I believe).

Stuff like that.

I'm a box modeler myself, although I primarily use cylinders now-a-days.

# 3 23-06-2004 , 04:53 PM
I use cylinders also... I kind of have problems when im doing SubD organic things cuz it creates that nasty ripple thing at the top of the cylinder... I would like to be a box modeler haha but i just dont have the patience (or skill) to pull it off... theres also the technique of starting with a polygon and extruding out and out and out and it just keeps adding to the face, and you just keep pulling the edges out and soon you have a rough face user added image RubberKidney has a tut on that... ill get you the link

# 5 27-06-2004 , 06:20 AM
Subscriber
patch modeling and poly by poly all the way!

box modeling... bleech user added image ...

does not always give accurate result for organics, ,i see can its use in the game or real time industry. because they mostly just need a quick approximation of a character, the rest is textures (although some engine these days have normal technologies... ) but box modeling is not the most accurate way to model organic models if you model pixel for pixel (like me!)

# 6 27-06-2004 , 08:31 AM
Subscriber
vladimirjp: that is not actually true.. a lot of high quality 3D is made with boxmodelling. Its all a matter of patience user added image

have a look at some of these animated gifs from one of the really good boxmodellers, Bay Raitt (one of the modellers on Gollum)

https://cube.phlatt.net/home/spiraloid/movies/movies

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 W.I.P
# 7 27-06-2004 , 02:55 PM
The Maya Mountain
different strokes for different folks.

Box modeling works ok for me most of the time.

Rotbol, your link doesn't work.

# 8 27-06-2004 , 03:12 PM
Subscriber

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 W.I.P
# 9 27-06-2004 , 10:57 PM
omg... thats crazy