Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-11-2009 , 05:30 AM
Subscriber

HELP!?

I dont know what I hit, but when i right click and select vertices.. the lines turn to a rainbow curve.. <on curve lines>

On objects, such as square (polys) and nurb spheres. the thing turn yellow-orange color.. and it ties everything tighter together.. so you cant pull just 1 vertice it will pull them all and stretch it..

I WANT IT BACK !! haha please help

thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-11-2009 , 07:34 AM
You've hit "B" on your keyboard for soft selection, just hit "B" again and all should be well!

# 3 04-11-2009 , 04:15 PM
Subscriber
good call! thanks! Now I know the hot-key for it. What is soft selection used for?

# 4 04-11-2009 , 05:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
It's used for modifying your mesh using a gradual influence on surrounding points instead of all or nothing. Experiment with it and you might figure out how it's useful or not useful.

# 5 04-11-2009 , 11:08 PM
Subscriber
you can change the size of the influence too by holding down b and middle mouse button dragging
(middle mouse button dragging is a virtual slider bar that you can use with a lot of things. like in the channel box if you select an attribute with a number and middle mouse button drag anywhere in your scene it will change)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 06-11-2009 , 04:05 AM
Subscriber
ahhh thats interesting and good to know. I have yet to experiment with tool though, But will check out those controls and functionality of it, trust me user added image

do you suggest any specific uses for it?

# 7 06-11-2009 , 06:26 AM
EduSciVis-er
It's probably used often to quickly shape organic meshes for example. Just a tip, people will likely be quicker to help with a specific question if the thread title is relevant and informative. user added image
Though I've found lots of very helpful and friendly people here regardless of the title.

# 8 06-11-2009 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
ahh i see.. right on. Will keep that in mind user added image thx for ur suggestions.