Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-11-2013 , 09:53 PM

Rendering transparency problem

I'm working on a scene at the moment with a 3d model lit by a basic 3-point light setup. I need to have labels coming off of the model with information. To do this I created a poly plane and applied a default lambert. In the colour node I applied the label image, which is basically just text on a transparent background. However, when I render it out in mental ray the plane is slightly visible. I assume this is due to the fact that the plane is receiving light information. Is there a way that I can stop this from happening? I was thinking that one option would be to stop the plane from receiving any light information and have it self-illuminate, but I don't know how to go about this.

Unfortunately I can't post images as it is for a client, but if any more information is needed then I can try to provide it. Any help would be really appreciated.

# 2 13-11-2013 , 10:10 PM
EduSciVis-er
Have you tried plugging the label texture into the transparency attribute? That might provide the cutout you need. You may have to reverse the black/white in the label image.

# 3 13-11-2013 , 11:02 PM
Subscriber
I have come across this before and its because a setting with transpancy is defaulted at 0.8 not 1.0.

But cant for the life of me remember which one it is off the top of my head - go thought the shadders options and see if you can find it - i check once im next to my pc.

# 4 13-11-2013 , 11:35 PM
Thanks for the help. Annoyingly I'm still having the issue. I forgot to mention that one of my lights is using light fog, which seems to be the source of the problem.

# 5 14-11-2013 , 01:08 PM
Subscriber
Right looking at my old file I see some of the things I did to correct the problem.

1) (And I do this for every texture now) under the file attributes > Filter type > set to off
2) A default lambert's diffuse value is always set to 0.8 > change this to 1.0
3) Under render settings > Quality> Shadows > Shadow methord > set to sorted or segments not simple.

These settings sorted out my problem I hope they help with yours

# 6 18-11-2013 , 12:55 PM
Thanks very much for the help. I decided in the end to just model the labels in Maya with text and polygon shapes, but I'm sure your response will be useful at some point in the future.

# 7 18-11-2013 , 09:33 PM
Super Moderator
It's the "Shadow Attenuation" attribute on the shader, it's in the raytrace options section Set it to 0.000, by default it's 0.500 which causes the slight shadow even on 100% transparent surfaces.

- Genny