Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 22-10-2002 , 07:20 PM
never said it wasn't good...it's just that a lot of major studios prefer softimage's modeling package. i like maya's just fine.

Signatures are the opium of the masses.
# 32 22-10-2002 , 09:37 PM
SM Alumni
Nem was right.... many of the big studios (ILM, DD and framestore are three that i know for sure) maya is generally used more for modelling and SI/XSI for animation, but thats partly because so many studios have theyre pipeline set up with proprietry conversion software from PA/maya<->SI. with the recent price drops and general recession i guess maya will become more popular as an one stop solution for the smaller houses.

# 33 22-10-2002 , 09:41 PM
Subscriber
yeah, its also because a lot of companys used SI3D b4 maya was out, so they cant really afford to change to another piece of software and have everyone learn a totally different program

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 34 23-10-2002 , 06:27 AM
the softimage interface reminds me a lot of lightwave on the left, maya on the top and also the channel box looking thing.

studios don't care what software you know because everything's changing at a ridiculous pace. they don't want button-pushers. they'd rather have people that understand the concepts behind everything so that they can quickly and easily (translation: inexpensive) learn anything the company chooses to use.

that being said, i think maya is the best overall 3d package for creating characters for film and video games. you learn maya and understand what you're actually doing and you've got a really solid base to work from. graphics program user interfaces change so much and so fast that by the time you've got your buttons in memory, there they go and switch everything around (prime example, transition from maya 3 to maya 4).

and yeah, i suppose they're now using maya for modeling and softimage xsi for animation...18 months ago it was the other way around because maya's modeling tools have undergone major changes and the relatively new softimage xsi has better animation controls than softimage 3d. for character animation setup and practice though, maya is still considered the best. maya's trax editor really isn't that far behind and its other controls are considered better than xsi's.

# 35 23-10-2002 , 09:51 AM
Subscriber
Let's face it to get a job in 3D you have to have a lot of talent and luck since there are very few places available and a lot of good people fighting for them.

I went to the DAW lecture the other week and attended the conference on 'How to get ahead in the Animation, Effects and Games Industry'. There was one of the honcho's from EA, Dreamworks and others all telling you what they look for but it seems that it is generally very tight to get into at the moment.

They said don't get any big ideas about becoming a character animator just try and get in. If they are looking for lighting people then go for that, if the are looking for textures go for that. Once there you can then talk with other professionals and LEARN from them. They also said that there is a shortage of techincal directors and generalists come in handy too.

Personally I like films like Shrek, Antz, Toy Story, Monster Inc etc. that stuff really appeals to me being something of a cartoonist so I concertrate on that sort of stuff but I wouldn't turn my nose up at anything!

The other thing about the conference was that I felt old... I am 38 most of the people around me were students. I started dabbling in 3d three years ago I wish I had started earlier. But the woman from Dreamworks said 'No, your not too old! We hired a chap who started 3d in his late forties because he was good'. Now if that doesn't encourage older members then I don't know what would.

Anyway, I satisfy myself with the thought that although I might never get into the profession, at least I can produce work that is of the same standard and that most importantly gets people laughing and admiration - I just need to get noticed and have lots of luck. So keep your toungues out!

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 36 23-10-2002 , 03:41 PM
Subscriber
yeah, landing a job isnt really about how old you are, and i dont think people would hire you if you know how to use a program either, to get a job, you need to understand the basics (art, movement etc) on a very advanced level, then use a program to take your ideas into 3d

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 37 23-10-2002 , 06:33 PM
exactly...the guy at pixar that did the fat caterpillar guy in a bug's life wasn't even 20 years old

# 38 23-10-2002 , 06:52 PM
Damn, I wish I had made the right decision about my future when I was under 20 yrs. I have a daytime job which is the field I studied (I'm an automation technician) but nowadays I'm not sure about if it is what I really want to do... user added image

Even the sharpest head wears down when scrubbing it against the roof of opportunites (umm...say, what? user added image).

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 39 23-10-2002 , 06:55 PM
Hmm, that means I´ve gotten into this thing right at time. Hope I do get a chance at it though. user added image

# 40 23-10-2002 , 07:18 PM
I am 24 years old, I what I understand you have to study when ever you have time because kids this days learn new stuff better and they grow up with computers...
I don't like the kids who lear some effects and they think that they know to animate....The good animator is the one who know the basic of everything, colors, human anatomy,cameras movment,materials,how light function in real life, to know physics, and so on and on.....................................To become a good animator you have to forgot on everything else, girls, life......and study as much as can, not just the books for the specific program,but books for painting, human structure, for example.....

# 41 23-10-2002 , 07:48 PM
donvlatko: I know exactly what you're talking about. But my problem is that I don't have anything in b&w to show to a 3d/vfx employer which I wished to work for. Even worse, I do not have any contacts on the business user added image

I believe I have the basics of every area required for at least an entry level position at a 3d/vfx company: But to prove that is a totally different story. What makes my situation even worse is that the 3d/vfx business here in Finland is almost non-existent.

I almost founded my own company with a friend but when the time was actually get the loans and start working, he cancelled the whole thing user added image

Now I'm kind of jammed. I have to continue on my current job to get my daily bread and it takes too much of my time to make any real progress on the 3d/vfx side.

I guess my only chance is to do an impressive enough demo-reel and hope the best. I just wish there were 48 hours in a day user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 42 24-10-2002 , 08:44 AM
kbrown: I know exactly how you feel...
Are you interested in game industry? I know that a lot of big guys when they
finish the work on some project go to work on some game....
What you can do is just as you say to made good demo-reel. But, the problem in making
a good demo reel is time, it is so hard to make your self to work on something for 6 months.....
And the 24 hours is so little, and if you have girlfrienduser added image...forgot on making a demo-reel....
It's the same in Yugoslavia with 3d/vfx!!!!!!!
I know how you feel when you have a job but you would like to make something....I am working on
game, but when ever I have a time I study and read something,it is so hard to keep the step in animation
today!!!

# 43 24-10-2002 , 09:01 AM
Subscriber
Thing is age isn't quite so bad. I mean when you are my age you have had a lot of time sub consciously watching,observing and recording things in your head, and you know instinctively when something is right. I used to to weight-kifting in my early years and studying allthe muscle groups helps tremendously with anatomy.

I also feel that having the ability to draw and being artistic helps tremendously for modelling, texturing and animating - if don't have this ability then it doesn't help unless you want to do lighting, rendering, scripting and being a technical director. TD's I think are usually both artistic and technical so it's a hard discipline.

Now for the book list that was recomended to me at the DAW: The illusion of life and The animator's survival handbook - these are not computer based. Computer ones are: Digital Character Animation 1&2, Digital Texturing and Painting, Digital Lighting and Rendering these are but a few I could go on.

Anyway, whilst prowling arund Otakar's the other day I discovered a new range of books dedicated to Maya: Inspired 3D Character Animation, Inspired 3D Character Setup, Inspired 3D Modelling and Texture Mapping all published by me... No! not really - but I nearly had ya going - Premiere Press. On first flick through they all seem more suited to intermediates wanting no know a little more but not pure beginners. There you go another useful tip from Mr Mataz.

Gazzamataz
# 44 24-10-2002 , 09:43 AM
Subscriber
Everyone's talking about reels well here are two examples of reels that got people jobs in the profession.

Captain Phil McNally's 'Pump Action' which took him 14 months to do using C4D 5.3 (Not the worlds best character animation package). https://www.maxon.de/index_e.html go to the gallery section and click CINEstars, I don't think the movie is available anymore but there are pictures. Or try this: https://www.adobe.co.uk/motion/featur...tion/main.html

'Alien Song' by Victor Navone using Animation Master which took him a few months. https://www.hash.com/users/navone/HTML/Index.htm

So rob a bank and use the money to take time off work to make your reel. When the police catch you you'll be earning so much money you be able to pay it all back... hmmmmm!

Alternatively just win the lottery and start your own studio. Joking aside it should give you and idea of the things that studios look for.

Gazzamataz
# 45 24-10-2002 , 11:35 AM
Subscriber
hey im 14 i got maya 2 wks ago and alredy just hangin on dis site everyday i can see wat its going to take i spend most after school time on maya just reading everything i can+ i also got a programming schloarship so im hoping if i can handle mel + all the concepts i might make it
i here what you guys are saying about starting early and im with you i dont think i could've started earlier then it would be just stupid but i can figure out things pretty well so i started early + i hope to crack a job someday