Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 30-09-2002 , 05:08 PM

Particle Shading Render

When ever I attempt to render particles which have had textures applied to them, they never appear. Only blobbysurface s/w works for the render. If i were to use multistreak or any other paticle shape, it doesn't render. It gives me this message:

// Warning: Hardware rendering selected for particleShape1. Skipped. //

I've checked render settings and I can't find the problem...Any suggestions would be great!

Thanx,
Silenced

"History is the gradual instant"
# 2 30-09-2002 , 05:23 PM
The Maya Mountain
Only particles that are labeld with a "S/W" will work in the normal rendering window. The S/W means "Software" rendering, which is the normal rendering method. For other types of particles, such as multistreak, you have to use Hardware Rendering. It is located under Window > Rendering Editors > Hardware Render Buffer or something of that nature.

It has its own Render Globals and everything.

The thing most people don't like, however, is that you have to composite the hardware render over the software render...

So, what you'd do, is render your scene normally in Software Render... Then, render it again in Hardware render with only the particles showing up (useing the Geometry Mask in the Hardware Render Buffer's Render Globals settings).

Then, in a compositing program, overlay the hardware render frames with the particles over the software render frames with your scene...

Complicated? Sorta.
Difficult? A little.
A Pain? You betcha. lol

# 3 30-09-2002 , 06:57 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Complicated? Sorta.
Difficult? A little.
A Pain? You betcha. lol

The power of the hardware render lies in the speed. And since almost all larger production houses renders everything in layers they're going to use compositing anyway...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 02-10-2002 , 09:54 PM
what compositing program would you use to do this

# 5 02-10-2002 , 10:12 PM
well, the only one i'm able to operate somehow is adobe after effects but there's plenty of choises. you could do it even in photoshop as pointed out elsewhere on this forum.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!