Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 21-12-2002 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber

Fender StratoCaster

I am working on this gtr and my main problem is the red body which has serious NURBS problem (my fault, obviously) .

I tried tesselation but it still is the same.

I made a CV and then I add a planar-trim

Is there a better way of doing this ?

Nir (NewBie) Sullamuser added image user added image

Nir Sullam
Architectural Visualizations Page: www.orvatsel.com/index2.html
Maya Page: www.orvatsel.com/maya
www.nirsullam.com
# 2 21-12-2002 , 04:20 PM
Nir,

You could try using the BevelPlus plugin from AW's site. This will allow you to draw CV curves and extrude them like polys with whatever bevel amounts you want and cap options. If you use 0 values, the results are like a lofted curve with no beveling, yet you can still have your solid poly caps. You wont have to deal with planar trims (a godsend for me). If you want to see a quick example, check out the Les Paul screenshot in this old thread. I was just playing around with BevelPlus and booleans.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 21-12-2002 , 04:34 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by NitroLiq
... yet you can still have your solid poly caps...

I have Maya 4.5 so I have BevelPlus integrated - have yet to use it.

What do you mean by "solid poly caps" ???

and what did you use to make the LesPaul body ? it looks great!

Do you have a finished model ??

Niruser added image

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com
# 4 21-12-2002 , 04:58 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I never finished the guitar as I just did it quickly to play around with creating insets. Anyway, if you look at the screenshot all I did was draw the main body shape with CV curves (using a les paul pic from gibson's site as a reference plane) closed the curve and smoothed it. Then I just used bevelplus and played with the depth, beveling the edges slightly, and checked to add bottom and top caps.

What happens is it creates a poly shape out of CV curves basically...all one shape so you don't have to go the route of lofting a couple curves then adding planar trims. By solid poly caps, I just mean that the caps as well as the whole shape are all poly so you can add booleans to it or whatever. For me, it was exactly what I was looking for...to be able to draw a 2D bezier shape, then be able to extrude it and have caps. I could never get planar trims to work right on a loft...or if I wanted to make it all one object, it seemed more difficult than it really should be.

After using bevelplus, I just adjusted the depth of the guitar with the standard transform tools (scale or move). Easy! user added image

# 5 21-12-2002 , 06:59 PM
Subscriber
NitroLiq

Thanks

I figured it out right after sending the "I dont understatnt" message.

[Updated image Dec 26]

here is the result :

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com

Last edited by nirsul; 26-12-2002 at 04:14 PM.
# 6 22-12-2002 , 02:07 AM
Ah nice job so far! Now all you have to do is tweak a bit...the texture attributes seem a bit weird on the pickgaurd and the vol/tone knobs (and the knob on the whammy bar) need a bit of tweaking at first glance. Looks great though.

# 7 26-12-2002 , 07:49 AM
Hell yeah man looks great! Keep us up to date! user added image

May the force be with you...always!
A Jedi shall not know anger nor hatred nor Love
The only way to live a good life is to act upon your emotions
A warrior is reborn when he has something to protect