Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-12-2011 , 07:07 AM

2D image plane to 3D object

Hi, I'm trying to use Maya to make a simple 3D animation. I suspect the thing I am trying to accomplish would be easy for someone who is familiar with the tools and interface.

What I am trying to do is import an image (with transparency), and then, basically, give the 2D image some 3D depth. Sort of like turning it into a plank of wood. If I can figure that out then I can manipulate the 3D object to create an animation.

Here's sort of what I'm trying to do - shooting gallery - YouTube
I need to take 2D images and create 3D animations with them like the bandits in the shooting gallery falling over, etc.

Can someone help walk me through this? At least until I have a 3D object, I think I can handle the animating on my own.

Or perhaps I should be using some other software than Maya?

# 2 15-12-2011 , 10:23 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
I would just do something like this in flash. If I was going to do it in maya I would just make a plane and use trans maps to create everything...I don't know if this would actually work but that's the first thing I would try.

# 3 15-12-2011 , 11:30 PM

I would just do something like this in flash. If I was going to do it in maya I would just make a plane and use trans maps to create everything...I don't know if this would actually work but that's the first thing I would try.

I'm not familiar with Flash, but as I understand it I don't see how that would work since I need 3D software to move the object in 3D space.

So can you tell me about "trans maps" and how I could use them?

# 4 16-12-2011 , 12:14 AM
Lifetime Member
I highly doubt that this animation was done in any 3D program it is simply cleaver drawing. I think what you are really asking about turning a drawing into a 3d mesh would be better achieved in Zbrush rather than Maya. Google Zsketch that might give you some good ideas.

Depending on what you are going to use it for I suppose you could use a few simple cubes or planes with some fancy transparency effects to give the appearance of 3d user added image that could probably recreate your little video there easily enough.

- Jake
# 5 16-12-2011 , 12:52 AM

I highly doubt that this animation was done in any 3D program it is simply cleaver drawing. I think what you are really asking about turning a drawing into a 3d mesh would be better achieved in Zbrush rather than Maya. Google Zsketch that might give you some good ideas.

You're correct, it was a drawn animation in the video. However, I want to achieve the same visual with 3D software because I need to replicate the concept for many 2D images.

I don't understand how Zbrush would help so either I don't understand your suggestion or you have misinterpreted my goal. I'm trying to simply add thickness to a 2D image. For example, a 2D image only has x and y, and z = 0. I want to make z = 2. Like turning a piece of paper into a plank of wood.

Depending on what you are going to use it for I suppose you could use a few simple cubes or planes with some fancy transparency effects to give the appearance of 3d user added image that could probably recreate your little video there easily enough.

You mean do this in Maya? How?

# 6 16-12-2011 , 02:32 AM
Subscriber
I just tested it to see how to do it. I'm more familiar with flash, but it's about 100x easier in maya.

In flash/or after effects you have to simulate the 3d movement by squashing the cowboy and then playing with his scale to have the illusion of the cowboy moving away from camera - the ground is a masked vertical pan, if you want I can send you the file, but i'd recommend to do this in maya.

All you need, is creating a plane and then in its attribute editor go to lambert1, click on checker-mark beside color, click file, select path of your picture (I used png picture cause you want the transparency around the character).. that's all. Then just animate the plane pop up, do and overshoot for a stronger effect (I had him go to 95% and settle to 90%, but it's up to you, also adjust the timing in the graph editor, I had it on default but it should be like this: sharp ease out, ease-in-ease-out)

As to the ground, i'd just make a big sphere, if you want a nice rounded horizon.

See the link for the test: first part is done in flash, second in maya - rendered through perspective view...

cowboy.mov - YouTube

# 7 16-12-2011 , 07:44 AM
Technical Director
Yeah, textured planes would be all that's needed. The hardest part to doing this would be creating the alpha channels in Photoshop. After that, you can simply use that as the transparency, therefore making them not look like square pieces of geometry.

Take a look here:

Alpha Masks in Maya using Photoshop Texture - YouTube

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 8 16-12-2011 , 05:05 PM
Hey thanks guys! I think I got it.