Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 01-05-2006 , 09:32 PM

Questions

First question I will ask, and check back for more, cause I will have a few more in this thread.

How do I make an empty space in Maya white? Like, I have blocks making basically a square shape. Now, I want the area between those blocks to come up white when I render it.

# 2 01-05-2006 , 09:47 PM
The Maya Mountain
View > Camera Attribute Editor

change the background color to white under the Environment section

# 3 01-05-2006 , 10:42 PM
Well, I only want a certain part of the model background to be white. I want other parts of the model background to be of a different color. How do I accomplish this??

# 4 01-05-2006 , 10:53 PM
The Maya Mountain
well, you could put colored planes behind the blocks with the colors that you want. I may not be understanding exactly what you're going for.

# 5 01-05-2006 , 11:52 PM
Like, with your avatar for instance, let's say you wanted to make one part of his face blue and the other part red. How do you do this. I have an outline of a mushroom and I want to put different colors inside the mushroom so it shows up in the render...

# 6 02-05-2006 , 12:28 AM
The Maya Mountain
You can create 2 different colored materials and apply them to the faces of the model that you want.

Unless you're doing a moving camera thing and you are always wanting the outer edge of your model to remain a certain color while the inner area of you rmodel remains another, even when the camera is moving around the model. That's a bit more complicated. Before I go through the steps for doing that, let me know if that's what you want, haha. user added image

# 7 02-05-2006 , 02:18 AM
Okay, I colored in the border of my model easily, but now I want to make some parts of the inside red (the nurbs blocks). I know I can make a lambert or a phong and make it red, then apply the color to my selection. But, I do not know how to make it red. In the attribute editor, I don't know how to make it red or any other color. All I can manage to get is gray, white, or black. Hope you can help user added image

# 8 03-05-2006 , 09:32 PM
instead of dragging the slider, click the color and it'll bring up the color picker.

Accept no substitutions.