Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 14-01-2010 , 08:48 PM
The thin red line
Hope Im not borring you guys with this, last update today. Time for a largar....dave

Attached Thumbnails
# 32 14-01-2010 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
DAve, i don't have a tablet so doing a red line for you is neigh impossible, i tried.
Instead i did the next best ting, i thought that possibly if part of your last image, and a reference image from Jake Sully ( jays challenge forum pic form the first post he made) Namely to start, the nose's of both were side by side you might be able to see better.

Notice yours the septum falls low very human like on the nose.
Where as Jake's septum is almost square with the botom of the nose, a very subtle difference that woudl add a slight angle to the nostril plane on his nose, but not very much of one.

The next part, i think you are very close with the width of the nose, the top edge of it along the length...
But i believe it is too round, you need to flatten it out more, again see the Jake sully nose posted in the attached image right below your last update's nose.
[edit]
also notice how the bridge of the nose doesn't thin down like human nose would, it fans out and integrates its self into the bulge of the brow bone.
I'd almost get the image of like a bone shield forming over the tear duct the way the bridge of the nose fans out, if i didn't know better then it being that way, if that makes sense?.. like a swooping curve down form the brow bone, strait into the squared off sides of the nose.

Gah, i need a new tablet, much easier to show you with red lines. its just impossible to do with a trackball, for me anyway.
[/edit]
hope this helps.
G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!

Last edited by G-Man; 14-01-2010 at 09:00 PM.
# 33 14-01-2010 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
...forgo the image, sorry

G-man

Attached Images

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 34 14-01-2010 , 09:21 PM
The thin red line
This is what it looks like head on..........dave

Attached Thumbnails
# 35 14-01-2010 , 10:05 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
@Zombi, Yeah I know mate, it was sarcasm at its worst, I think some paint overs are in order soon. We have a while yet on the comp so....

The nearest so far is perfecto, he only has to sort the mouth on his once his rferences are in. He has the nose sorted already, but the hardest part is the human aspect on the mouth and cheeks.

J

# 36 14-01-2010 , 10:19 PM
LOL I added the top half too so you CAN see the difference.

the idea of the top features is essentially feline. study the cat an Neytiris face, they are pretty similar, its the same for Jake and the other avatars.

hope it helps and clears the trees

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 15-01-2010 , 09:49 PM
The thin red line
Update, I can see where you have done the paint over and have tried to copy you but I think the hole face would need to be re-aranged in doing so I think I will loose my part of the face in doing so, the eye are temp..........dave

Attached Thumbnails
# 38 15-01-2010 , 09:54 PM
Thats the idea of the challenge mate. You've got loads of time so no rush.

It looks much better mate, keep pushing yourself, great stuff

Jay

# 39 16-01-2010 , 12:34 AM
One interesting thing about the Avatar's vs. the Navi is that the Avatar's carry over some of the genetic traits of their gene source (human).

For instance the native Navi have 3 fingers and a thumb while all the Avatar Navi have the human 4 fingers and a thumb.

Look at the nose on Sigorni Weaver's Avatar. It maintains more of the human shape as compared to the other Avatar and the Navi lion like nose.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 40 16-01-2010 , 12:39 AM
EduSciVis-er
Haha, don't get me started on the genetics of the movie. For the sake of a hollywood device, I have no choice but to let it slide. *sigh*

Keep up the good work Dave, it's taking shape.

# 41 16-01-2010 , 02:33 AM
Just pointing out that all the features of the Avatar's do not fit the Navi pattern exactly. Weaver's nose, with the exception of being slightly broadened at the bridge, is clearly more human like.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 42 16-01-2010 , 05:12 AM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 43 16-01-2010 , 11:31 AM
The thin red line
little update, mainly where the nose meats the upper lip

Attached Thumbnails
# 44 16-01-2010 , 11:32 AM
The thin red line
dif angle

Attached Thumbnails
# 45 16-01-2010 , 08:25 PM
Dave this is looking awsome!! and its retaining the features of your face too...good job mate!!

Okay, I can actually telly the reason why Sigourney Weavers avater is the most human looking.

The reason is because her nose is very slim and according to Cinefex magazine it caused alot of probs and she ended up not looking like herself as the avatar. They went thru a big process of design but ended up doing the opposite, so there ya go....

theres actually been a few mentions of this similar prob on other forums....personally I think people get to damn deep with it all and make up tons of shite to try and justify it all....they should just accept it as is....and get a life LOL

Jay