Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-06-2010 , 09:36 PM

randomly select verts through MEL?

anyone have any idea how to randomly select verts on any object through Mel scripting? I want to make a script where when a button is pressed, there is a new selection of verts.

# 2 04-06-2010 , 04:21 AM
Lifetime Member
I wouldnt have a clue but I am curious as what you want it for mate??? You have my attention if not solution.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 05-06-2010 , 05:09 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 09-06-2010 , 08:02 PM

Class Project

I'm trying to create a sort of terrain maker for class but I wasn't sure how to go about doing it. I want a button that when its pressed, create a random terrain. I also want to create a slider that lessens or increases the depth of the random hills it creates. Something like that. I'm still not sure what to do. Hmmm...

# 5 09-06-2010 , 08:47 PM
EduSciVis-er
The extrude button has a random attribute that you can change the value of to introduce random noise into the extrusion.

Also the transform component (I think) tool has random attributes that you can specify for each axis. Hope that helps.

# 6 09-06-2010 , 10:03 PM
Lifetime Member
I thought thats what you may have wanted it for. Im lucky, being a Surveyor I have terrain data I have actually mapped to use in the future. I just have to find out why my .DXF wont import into Maya, the plug in is on.

Good luck with it though.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 11-06-2010 , 12:35 AM
Technical Director

Re: Class Project

Originally posted by Jordanpierreag
I'm trying to create a sort of terrain maker for class but I wasn't sure how to go about doing it. I want a button that when its pressed, create a random terrain. I also want to create a slider that lessens or increases the depth of the random hills it creates. Something like that. I'm still not sure what to do. Hmmm...

Yes. Use the script I provided above, then activate the soft selection/soft mod tool, adjust the spread, then pull up.

There are other ways, but they require some technical know-how. I'm happy to help you out, I just want to know if all the really easy stuff works first.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.