Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 11-07-2003 , 09:45 PM

mel_snap_appearing

question01
i´ve copied a mel-script "lightgirl"into the script-directory of maya.
when i want starting the script,there always appear a notice
Error: Cannot find procedure "lightgirl".Error: Cannot find procedure "lightgirl".
it seems that i am a bit to dull for installing a mel script. what have i done false?

question02 to snaping
is there someone who can give me one or more links to tutorials about snaping?
now,i´m just too dull for the right snaping. i know the funcion of x an v- button.
that´s all.
at the moment i want to scale a circle just a little bit, but there is always a snaping on, which i don´t want to. but i don´t which one. i really need tutorial help.

question03 make hidden appearing
i have almost all objects hidden.now i want several hidden objects to appear.
what do i need really is a list of all the hidden objects, so that i can do a selection from the hidden objects i want to make appear in the viewport.

question04
i want to see the render-output-region in the viewport

ps: thank you very much for answering so much questions i already have asked in this forum.

# 2 11-07-2003 , 11:22 PM
1. Make sure you are typing the name of the script exactly. MEL is case-sensitive. Also, make sure you followed the directions in the MEL script exactly (just open up the .mel file in any text editor and look at the top of the script). Finally, if you installed the script while Maya was running, either restart Maya or source the script.

2. You may have accidentally turned on Scale Snapping. You can turn it off by unchecking "Discrete Scale" in the scale tool options dialog (double-click Scale tool) or by selecting "Snap Scale" from the scale marking menu (hold down "r" and left-click to bring up the marking menu).

3. Open up Outliner (Window > Outliner). In the list of objects, hidden objects are displayed in blue text. Select the ones you want to make visible and go to Display > Show > Show Selection.

4. You can set any of the view panels to be your Render Panel. In the view panel menu, select Panels > Panel > Render View.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 12-07-2003 , 12:05 AM
for question 2 you could always just use the channel bar at the side to scale up or down by arbitrary amounts

if you do what danny said and look in the outliner you can select which objects to show. I have it set so that I have a hot key to show selected which makes the process much quicker

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 13-07-2003 , 05:34 PM
1.yes, i was a bit dull in trying to install the mel. by chosing the directory path i haven´t noticed that i was loking in my user profile and not right the program directory.
i have it, okay.

2.you are right, the discree scale was enabled. thank you.

it be would very helpful for me if i could get a tutorial about the right snaping. in the future i want to visualize an architectural model. i think for this it would be necessary to know more about snapping. so if someone has a tutorial about snap and selection masks, it would be very kind of you to get a link.?????!!!???

3.ok, now i how the meaning of the blue written objects in the outliner. thank you
the idea of the hotkey pleasures to me. but now i don´t know how to create a hotkey for such a operation. perhaps i will do it later.

4.oh no dannngan, you have misunderstood. i want only to see in the viewport a frame, which show which area get rendered.

# 5 13-07-2003 , 08:07 PM
Question 1:

It's usually a good idea to place your MEL scripts in your own scripts directory. Typically it is in My Documents\maya\4.5\scripts or My Documents\maya\scripts. Either one will work.

Question 4:

I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you elaborate some more?

Danny Ngan
# 6 14-07-2003 , 11:17 AM
1. i have created also a special directory for the downloaded mel scripts, but it is placed as sub-dir. under maya. Your propose is quite better.

2. when i want to render a upright format, e.g. resolution 480x640, i want to see the area which is rendered in my camera view. i know that there is a simple setting, but now i don´t know where to do this.

regards, colomea

# 7 14-07-2003 , 06:11 PM
OK, I get what you mean now. In the viewpanel menu, go to View > Camera Settings > Resolution Gate.

Danny Ngan
# 8 14-07-2003 , 08:29 PM
hi danny, that´s it what i have looking for.
but for seeing the hole gate of the chosen upright resolution format, i have to scale the viewport.
in 3dsmax the gate adapt to the vieport scale and you can see always the hole resolution gate. thank you.

# 9 14-07-2003 , 08:33 PM
ok, i have found it.
i have to select also camera settings vertical. thank