Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-09-2005 , 12:41 AM

What books would be good for making humans?

Hi every one I joined awal ago but never whent on here. I whant to know any good books for human modeling.

Also on animashone when you make the bones how do you have them assined to the object? I am try to make a hell scene for doom3 editor.

Can some one tell me how to attach polygons toghter to make terrain and a good cave scene?

1 more thing how can I make a good cave I used a cube and add more vertexes to make it look rocky but it did not look any thing from doom3.

Here is what I whant it kinda look like

https://img356.imageshack.us/my.php?i...en1032502r.jpg

https://img356.imageshack.us/my.php?i...en0042503r.jpg

https://img356.imageshack.us/my.php?i...en0902502r.jpg

user added image

# 2 24-09-2005 , 10:21 PM
Ok.

1. For animation thing select the skeleton and then the polygons, and use animation - skins - rigid bind skins

2. try using a plane and extruding the edges, might work better. You might also want to have a TEXTURE for your plane shape

Cheers, user added image
,Matt user added image

# 3 27-09-2005 , 09:43 PM
Thanks but I still need to know how to make a cave and a good human modeling book.

I finished this one creature slug thing something from silent hill 4 but faster and more dangerus but will need to work on the anima on it so it looks cool for this shooter game I am making for unreal editor 2004.

That editor can almost make any game I mean any game. user added image

Last edited by landmaker; 28-09-2005 at 02:10 AM.
# 4 02-10-2005 , 04:25 PM

Books

Check out "Maya Character Creation: Modeling and Animation Controls, First Edition" by Chris Maraffi. It's the one my game modeling teacher was really keen on. For a more classic approach, "Bridgeman's Guide to Drawing from Life" gives you an excellent overview of human anatomy, skeletal structure, and muscle groups. Good luck!

"Nap time!"
# 5 03-10-2005 , 11:34 AM
Subscriber
I've found modelling a human through the help of a book quite a struggle when i first started... it lacked explanation, for example why use this tool on this feature... doesn't really explain alot. I would recommend video tutorial as its far simplier and easier to follow.

1/Gnomon Workshop Series - Humaniod Modelling, Head Modelling (don't get the Organic one first - thats patch modelling and does get quite complicated)

2/Simply Maya video training by Kurt is just as good, particularly the Ninja Warrior as its focuses more on the human appearance.

The only difference is that the Gnomon ones will hold your hand from start to finish, where as the simply maya one will start you off and give you some space to work on your own - to catch up and to perfect it before continuing.

If your still insistent on books, then Learning Maya Series is useful, they have a Modelling book which explains poly and nurbs modelling of a human body. (both female and male forms covered)

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 6 09-10-2005 , 04:18 PM
Hey check out MtMckinletys book on game modeling in maya, its really good (i heard). I ordered it!

CHeers, user added image
,Matt user added image

# 7 10-10-2005 , 01:56 PM

Originally posted by MattTheMan
Hey check out MtMckinletys book on game modeling in maya, its really good (i heard). I ordered it!

CHeers, user added image
,Matt user added image

I Think I have that book but never used it yet it is alital out of my skill level.

I think I will buy Maya Character Creation: Modeling and Animation Controls. Thout of buying it but whanted to see if any one coments it or recamend it. Thanks.

Last edited by landmaker; 10-10-2005 at 02:02 PM.