Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 23-08-2006 , 11:48 PM

Help on a couple of topics!

Ok, I'm not really sure where to post this as I have two, sort of different questions, so I'll post it here.

1. My first problem is this: When I go to render settings (to choose what to render with), I only get a choice of Maya Software and Maya Hardware, no Mental Ray!

The strange thing is that a month or two ago, this problem didn't exist, does anyone know how I turned the other rendering options off (and more importantly, how to get them back!)

2. Secondly, I've been trying to render scenes with multiple particle types in maya Software for a while, and many of the particles never showed up! I had a look on the net and found that some of the particles need to be rendered separately in Maya Hardware, and I have no problem with that.

However, the tutorials then say I need 'compositing software'. What is compositing software and what software packages include a compositing function?

Thanks a heap!

# 2 24-08-2006 , 12:10 AM
ok first easy question is, what version of maya do you have?

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 24-08-2006 , 01:00 AM
for the first one open your plug in manager and enable mtrtomya (or something along those lines) As your preference file might be playing up therefore not starting Mental Ray on start up.

Second one Compositing software takes the sepperate images and combines tham to create one image.

You can use say photoshop to do single frames (or GIMP thats free) or something like after effects for image sequences.

cheers

# 4 24-08-2006 , 09:21 AM
Ok, firstly, I'm running Maya version 7.0.

So AfterEffects will do it...good! Thanks for the solutions, I'll try them today and get back to you.

# 5 27-08-2006 , 04:41 AM

Originally posted by gster123
for the first one open your plug in manager and enable mtrtomya (or something along those lines) As your preference file might be playing up therefore not starting Mental Ray on start up.

Fabulous! It worked...thankyou. (I know this is a couple of days late).