Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-12-2006 , 02:12 AM

Problem with crawling skin. Gaaah.

Hi,

I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain to me what I'm doing wrong with my rendered scenes. The problem is that in all of the scenes I render with moving characters in, the skin of the character doesn't seem to stay where it should, and gives a 'rippled' or flickering effect.

I've uploaded some test clips of what I mean. In these clips, I used a 'mosaic' type shader on a polygon mesh, and the skin doesn't seem to be permenantly fixed to the characters body.

examples:

https://www.vernedaflexing.com/render...es/example.mp4
https://www.vernedaflexing.com/render...s/example2.mp4

Any ideas how I can fix this problem?

# 2 11-12-2006 , 02:22 AM
Okey regarding the skin I guess it could be so that the mosaic is animated automaticaly.(Maya seem to do that fairly often) ^^

Now for a counter question, how did you animate the water? user added image

# 3 11-12-2006 , 02:40 AM
I had a quick look through the attributes for the shader, but couldn't find anything that would animate it automatically.

For the water, I just followed the examples in the maya help files about creating ocean materials. It's a feature that's included in the unlimited version of maya - just a case of inserting an ocean plane, and then changing it's attriubutes to make it look foamy, still, stormy or to give a lava effect etc. Hope this helps, that's about all I did.

# 4 11-12-2006 , 03:00 AM
you need to either parent your 3d texture placement node to your object or you need to create a texture reference. look in the help files for 'create texture reference' and they tell you how. it's pretty easy.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 12-12-2006 , 10:34 AM
That seems to have solved the problem - I've created a texture placement object on a test animation, and it looks fine once it's animated.

One thing that's bothering me though is that the texture placement object only seems to work when it is applied to a surface before it is animated. I've got about 20 mins of animated material, most of which has got characters that have not got their textures anchored in any way. Of course, this was really dumb of me to create this much material without actually learning something as fundamental as how to make a texture placement node, but I decided to jump into the deep end of animating and wanted to learn as I want along. Ooops.

So what I'm saying is, do you know of a way that I can automatically align the position of the reference object to the original suface throughout the whole timeline of each scene, without re-animating everything I've done so far?

Thanks for replying before, btw

Last edited by verneda; 12-12-2006 at 12:05 PM.
# 6 12-12-2006 , 10:29 PM
oops, nevermind. Just did another test render, and it's all working properly now.

Thanks!

# 7 12-12-2006 , 10:47 PM
user added image

Accept no substitutions.