Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 01-02-2008 , 03:01 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
This came together really nicely! Good Job!

Looking forward to seeing the texturing.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 32 01-02-2008 , 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Thanks lealar and younglion!

What parts would you like to see?

Man, that's a nice ship. I wonder how many guys it took to make all that stuff.

thats a hard question i dont know maybe a shot from the deck looking across the ship or up at the mast something like that

# 33 01-02-2008 , 01:11 PM
Jr.Who
Thanks a lot Mayaniac!

Here you go younglion:

Attached Thumbnails
# 34 01-02-2008 , 01:12 PM
Jr.Who
Just got finished with UV mapping the sails:

Attached Thumbnails
# 35 01-02-2008 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber
looks great.., if you want wake as it goes in the water.., i suspect if you parent a volume field at the bow and set a collision with the softbody passive water .., you should get a nice wake.., though its just a thought 9dont know if it will work ) i had looking at your thread.., you could always use the examples.., but you dont learn the guts of much with presets

looks great,.., all of it

take it easy and life will be easy
# 36 02-02-2008 , 03:31 AM
Subscriber
nice work, kind of makes me want to do the pirate ship.
Are you planning on turning the ropes and sails into nCloth's?

# 37 02-02-2008 , 03:48 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by mirek03
looks great.., if you want wake as it goes in the water.., i suspect if you parent a volume field at the bow and set a collision with the softbody passive water .., you should get a nice wake.., though its just a thought 9dont know if it will work ) i had looking at your thread.., you could always use the examples.., but you dont learn the guts of much with presets

looks great,.., all of it

Although I have no idea what you're talking about, thanks a lot! user added image

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
nice work, kind of makes me want to do the pirate ship.
Are you planning on turning the ropes and sails into nCloth's?

Thanks, Mike. No, I've never really tinkered around with nCloth.

# 38 02-02-2008 , 07:20 AM
Subscriber
hey it was just something i thought you might like to look into.., try a drag field with inherit velocity ON.., or select your boat and connect the field to it using 'use selected sourse.., try an example and emulate it.., theres lots of things

# 39 03-02-2008 , 07:35 AM
Subscriber
Who,

I have been watching this post the last few days. I like your model. It seems simple, yet complex all in the same breath. We've gotta see some texturing. Stop messing with us. Textures are gonna make that look great.

# 40 03-02-2008 , 08:39 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by shwenkerbean
Who,

I have been watching this post the last few days. I like your model. It seems simple, yet complex all in the same breath. We've gotta see some texturing. Stop messing with us. Textures are gonna make that look great.

Thanks shwenkerbean. I can't wait for texturing too! I'm thinking of going for a black worn-out look.

I'll be getting a new tablet this week, so I'll post up on what I think of it when I get it.

Just mapped a couple more pieces:

Attached Thumbnails
# 41 03-02-2008 , 12:15 PM
Subscriber
mate, i hope you know i was talking about making a wake in the waves when you get that far.., fields are very interesting, designed to act like real world fields.

as far as the simple yet complicated model. IMHO i think the beams at the front are too thick/wide.., length is fine of course, came straight off the orthos.., but it looks like the front end is going to fall into the sea and take the boat with it

as i said its nice work, take your time, dont rush it.., no-one is going anywhere in a hurry user added image

Muser added image

# 42 03-02-2008 , 06:30 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by mirek03
mate, i hope you know i was talking about making a wake in the waves when you get that far.., fields are very interesting, designed to act like real world fields.

as far as the simple yet complicated model. IMHO i think the beams at the front are too thick/wide.., length is fine of course, came straight off the orthos.., but it looks like the front end is going to fall into the sea and take the boat with it

as i said its nice work, take your time, dont rush it.., no-one is going anywhere in a hurry user added image

Muser added image

Do you have any links for stuff like that?

About the front part, I'm just following what Kurt's doing! user added image

# 43 04-02-2008 , 12:48 AM
Go into the visor and have a look in there and "reverse engineer" the one with the boat and the wakes.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 44 04-02-2008 , 11:12 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Go into the visor and have a look in there and "reverse engineer" the one with the boat and the wakes.

I just saw the pic of it and it looks like something really cool to integrate. I'll have to tinker with it when I'm done texturing and setting it up for the final render.

Got really bored UV mapping last night (surprise user added image ) and finished some more of it today.

Attached Thumbnails
# 45 06-02-2008 , 12:40 AM
Jr.Who
The sides of the ship are a lot easier than I thought they were going to be. Makes the UVs much more fun this way. user added image

Attached Thumbnails