Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 10-05-2015 , 01:32 PM

Cylinder Caps With Quad-Faced Topology?

I am following an article online on how to model a lego character and I am baffled at one of the first steps. It says to create a cylinder, make it's subdivision axis 12 then to delete the caps. Then is says to "fill the caps with "cleaner, quad-faced topology". I know this is a lot better than triangular topology, and I know this is important for modelling the rest of the character I just don't know how to do it.

Here is what is wants you to do to the caps of the cylinder: user added image

Here is a link to the article:

https://www.creativebloq.com/3d/creat...rhero-21410592

Thank you in advance!

# 2 10-05-2015 , 03:16 PM
The thin red line
I would delete the inner faces then fill hole, last just use the cut faces tool.................dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 10-05-2015 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
Currently making one myself for my hulkbuster project

https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthre...threadid=41441

1 Create cylinder > open channel box
2 change Sub caps to 0 and subdivsions axis to 12 (Reading the tut it tells you 12 but he is using 20 - bit misleading)
3 Select the face on bottom and top and then select Edit Mesh > Face > Extrude. Here click the blue box which will activate the middle box
4 To match the tut scale it in, then press "G" to use it again or just use the Edit Mesh > Face > Extrude again.
5 Now use the split poly tool to connect the faces to quads - this is how I would do it
6 This is closer to the tut way of doing it, but again I did it on 12 sides (like he said to do it) not the 20 he has used.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by tweetytunes; 10-05-2015 at 03:28 PM.