Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 15-03-2005 , 07:31 PM
Subscriber

Multiple faces Problem

Iam modeling a helecopter and in the window area, I have faces on top of each other, there is only 4 vertices in the square but it has 2 faces. how can i merge the faces so it becomes one complete face.

# 2 16-03-2005 , 12:08 AM
Subscriber
have you tried deleting the offending face? The merge vertices tool is in the edit polygons menu. use the option box and make sur the tolerance is a low setting like .005 or so, if the vertices are on top each other you don't want to inadvertently merge with another vertex that happens to be close.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 28-03-2005 at 05:13 AM.
# 3 16-03-2005 , 04:49 AM
Subscriber
I already merge all the vertices, But I still get double faces, If i select a verticle a single edge it still just gives me 1 vertice, so I know the vertices are fine. Is there a way to merge faces like we do with vertices. I have Maya 6.0 and my friend has Maya 6.5, It shows up fine on his with only single faces, but i still have double faces.

Any suggestions. Thank s for your help

# 4 16-03-2005 , 05:43 PM
Subscriber
here is a picture of my problem, the poly counter show 2 faces but How can i change it to one, without going one by one and deleting each face individually. Thanks for the help.

P.S. if you have DannyUVTools please email it to me at mgreen0@gmail.com

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 16-03-2005 , 06:57 PM
Subscriber
This can happen sometimes when you convert subdiv to polygon. Be sure the subdiv is in normal mode vice polygon proxy mode. For some reason if you convert with proxy selected it creates that dual geomety.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 6 18-03-2005 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber
Just like mhcannon says, delete the offending face. I had the same problem and it worked for me.

# 7 28-03-2005 , 05:10 AM
Did you happen to duplicate the surface? Check your duplication options and make sure that COPIES is set to 1. Maybe it's not two faces but two different geometry?

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu