Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-10-2007 , 11:44 PM
Subscriber

crash test

hey all!
so still working on my overkilled race movie and I thought I'd post shot 47 on simplymaya. I know it could be a lot better but for the time I had this was the best I could do. I'd still appreciate any comments or crits and maybe a solution to the problems you find i'd appreciate it.

thanks

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tzzzO-kXZ5M

the dude says "how ya doin" in midair by the way.

# 2 10-10-2007 , 01:52 AM
Subscriber
thats AMAZING!!!! did you do all that your self or are you working with a team of people

# 3 10-10-2007 , 05:44 AM
Subscriber
cool vid, what program did you use for when it hit the wall?

# 4 10-10-2007 , 10:21 AM
Subscriber
thats cool, I must take a note that I need to learn explosions, haha. Looking good

# 5 10-10-2007 , 10:30 AM
Hey, looks pretty good.

The speeds seem a little out althoug hits hard to see as I assume somes on purpoese with it being in slow mo, but some of the parts that seem to be normal framerates seem a tad slow.

Be nice to see a shot breakdown as to what your aiming for pershot as its all together at the moment and without any guide to whats going on its hard to crit.

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 10-10-2007 , 11:23 AM
Subscriber
wow thanks the support guys.

did you do all that your self

yea I'm working by myself so far that's probably why it's taking so long. I however get a lot of help from friends letting me borrow their models.

what program did you use for when it hit the wall?

that's mostly made with the plugin Blastcode Megaton. It's an excellent maya tool to have in your back pocket when it comes to making debris blow how you want it.

yea good point Steve. the timing on the realtime parts like when the guy hits the pillar should of been much faster and I prob should of tweaked that a bit more. I also thought the lighting was a bit too dark and a bit hard to tell what's going on. I'm thinking of adding brightness and contrast on post and see if that'll help.

# 7 10-10-2007 , 01:55 PM
that was very cool danotronXX - i always enjoy watching your vids.

I really liked the bit where the guy came flying out - though something about it was a bit odd - he looked kind of stiff and i'm not sure if that would actually happen - if he would come out at that angle - though that may not be a concern for you.

Good job mate! user added image

# 8 10-10-2007 , 10:41 PM
Subscriber
ha! thanks for the compliments +crits arron. Yea the animation could use a lot more tweaking.
I think the driver would probably fly off on the front of the windshield but then I figured the camera seemed to like it better if he flew off on the side. Maybe I could cover it in the intro by saying "so yea this is set in another universe with side gravity forces and all..."user added image

Last edited by danotronXX; 10-10-2007 at 10:47 PM.
# 9 10-10-2007 , 11:24 PM
Subscriber
you could say an ejector seat that ejects on impact

# 10 11-10-2007 , 01:59 AM
Just looked over my post, god, you can tell I was rushing to type that before going out!

Looking forward to some updates.

# 11 11-10-2007 , 01:01 PM
Ahah I just thought you were asian

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 12 11-10-2007 , 01:40 PM
Subscriber
# 13 12-10-2007 , 05:01 AM
Looking pretty darn cool, my friend! Like you said, the lighting could use some tweaking, and the speed as well, but it's a really neat animation!

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 14 12-10-2007 , 07:49 AM

Originally posted by danotronXX
ha! thanks for the compliments +crits arron. Yea the animation could use a lot more tweaking.
I think the driver would probably fly off on the front of the windshield but then I figured the camera seemed to like it better if he flew off on the side. Maybe I could cover it in the intro by saying "so yea this is set in another universe with side gravity forces and all..."user added image

You could find the exact angle at which the guy flies out with a little math. If you have the distance the car is moving and the scene height and the distance that you want your character to fly, you could find the right angle. I'll do the math if you want, but tweeking sounds a bit easier.

edit:Sry about image size.

Attached Thumbnails

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 15 12-10-2007 , 07:52 AM
If you wanted to make him fly withoug the bother, give him a really low poly mesh add it as a wrap and then use the dynamics on the low poly