Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-08-2010 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber

Learning a new skill - is this what would help me?

I'm trying hard to learn to UV in Maya. It's hard. Really hard. Anyways I'm thinking of buying a video tutorial and just learning that way, it was helpful in the past when I made the UMP45, following a video tutorial.

I was looking at this,
https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto...UV-Mapping-101

I'm really desperate to learn this process as I'm finding out "just modeling" isn't enough when I join mod teams, etc.

It seems it will teach me all about UVing but then what about getting my UVs into photoshop and texturing it? I want to learn about that too. I'm just worried I'll learn all about UVing and then what, you know? Like I'll be one step short of learning about the whole process of Uv-texture-finish the model...

Would this help me with that uv-texture-finish the model process or would it only teach me about UVs and nothing more? I want to learn about what comes after UVing as well, the parts with photoshop as well.

Thank you!!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 2 13-08-2010 , 10:32 PM
The thin red line
Was your shadow problem resolved if so it would have been nice if you told us so

# 3 13-08-2010 , 10:37 PM
EduSciVis-er
That tutorial looks fine... I'm sure they would give you a brief intro to getting it into PS and back, if not, it's not too hard, just export a UV snapshot. If you want to make sure you have the full deal (i.e. complete texturing as well as UV layout) why don't you get one of the tuts here, like the haunted house texturing tut.
Or you could get a month subscription to DT for the same price as that gnomon tut, and learn as much as you can in a month... up to you.

# 4 13-08-2010 , 11:56 PM
Lifetime Member
I learnt a lot from the Spitfire Tut from here mate. Simple stuff and easy on the vrain.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 14-08-2010 , 09:53 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
It is certainly usefull to learn UV mapping ...and shading and animating and modeling and dynamics, it's all very usefull if you want to get in to CG you know user added image