Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 13-04-2004 , 01:02 AM

Why Did I Have To Pick THIS As A Hobby?!

Hi all!

For the past couple of years, I've been toiling away at computer animation and I've dabbled here and there in other things to pass the time and to hopefully get me closer to my dream of making movies, be it as a hoppy or a profession. I recently ordered Dariush Derakhshani's new book, Introducing Maya 5 for Beginners, and so far, it's not bad. I've thumbed through it mostly and have found little to help me out in my troubles and tribulations with this software. I have four other Maya books going back to Maya 4 and I'm still not doing as well as I'd like.
I work two jobs and they keep me so preoccupied that I have little to no time anymore to practice Maya, learn anything new or even to turn my stupid computer on. It's starting to develop a complex, it misses me so much. On top of all of this, I like to keep my studio door open but my wife also has her plants in here that she's trying to ready for gardening season this year and my cat LOVES green plants and will stop at nothing to get to them... at all costs! So I'm spending most of my time playing Han Solo blasting her out of the room with my water bottle every 3.472885 seconds and it distracts me from my "work".
I've given up several times on this project I'm working on and I feel another "give up" coming on soon. I'm no artist so I can honestly say I'll never get as good as you Mr. McKinley and I'll never be able to get kick ass renders on the cheap like you Brian and this pity party is doing nothing but making me feel worse. I've asked for help and I do get it and appreciate every reply to my bitching that I get. I have no time for art classes and my patience really is at or near its end. You guys have trudged through the hardest times to make your projects and you've succeeded and done well for yourselves. I have doubts about my stuff though.
Anyway, just had to vent and feel sorry for myself. I'm 34 and feel like I'll never acheive my lifetime goal of making movies. I should have had at least one movie made by now. Oh well. Thanks for reading this, y'all. See you on down the road.

Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 2 13-04-2004 , 01:49 AM
Subscriber
hey man, I hear ya! I feel the same way as you do - I am the same age and have been working at this for the past year with little to show for it. I was asking myself that same question last night... and I dont have an answer. Am I wasting my time with this? or are all these efforts just like putting money into a slot machine, that will some day pay out a big jackpot? The closest thing to an answer I can come up with is: what else would I be doing with my time other wise? I cant think of anything better.
so untill I do, I will keep at this sometimes painfull hobby. In life, what is worthwhile that you dont have to work for?

Russel- lets kick some 3d butt!

# 3 13-04-2004 , 01:58 AM
The Maya Mountain
It's a tough industry, that's for sure. And I understand how hard it is to find the time for it when you've got other priorities. I really don't have any answers for you, other than to just keep on truckin' and putting in as much practice as you can. It takes time! It took me 3 years AFTER I graduated to get my first job in this industry... add it all up, that's about 4 and a half years of practice before calling this my career. Some people are able to get in earlier, some aren't.

Fraid that's all I can say. It's tough, but those that persevere, do come out on top eventually.

# 4 13-04-2004 , 02:11 AM
Russell, hey mate.... just wanted to say I know what you are going through... I'm 28 and have had fustrating moments when it comes to life, jobs as well as trying to improve my 3D skills in the last year or so (I had some pretty down moments). I'm still working towards my goals trying to breaking into a studio full time instead of freelance as well as trying to make the best life for my wife Amber as I can.

Things are just really starting to click for me as far as my career, with working for SM and a few other small freelance gigs just over the last few months. Breaking into 3d takes time but i can and will happen.

As far as working on your projects everyone gets, fustrated and wants to stop.... I too still have those moments.. so just take a break from that project and just play around with other things like other tools.... then come back to the project with fresh eyes, it helps me a lot to do that.

Dont say you will never get as good as so and so, I promise it will happen.

To be honest with most of the great artist I know have no formal art training... and all I would suggest when it comes to that if you dont have time to take classes... is just try and train your eyes to see motion if you want to animate and line and form if you want to model.... thoughs too things are more important then being able to draw like a professional. If you can get your ideas on paper and they look like a scribble but you know what they are then you have done it.

I'll let you on a little thing about my life time dream... I too want to make movies or a animated tv series.... but my biggest goal in my life as far as career is to win an academy award for an animated short=) I know is sounds funny but that almost impossible goal keeps me going through the hard times.

Have to admit the whole han solo thing made me laugh.. would be a funny aniamated short blasting the cat with a spray bottle... not sure how you would get the cat to stay out maybe a dog that sits by your chair =)

lastly keep you head up mate.... you will get there.. and if you need help with projects or question keep posting them and I as well as the other members will keep trying to help.=)

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 13-04-2004 , 08:28 AM
Hey im 24 and feel just like u... (+seeing how the bulidings sector is a big bubble in spain right now, i just dont see how to buy a house...i mean, even if i got two low level jobs and my sweetheart and i pooled resources we would have to ask for a credit 40 yrs long and/or go to live outside any interesting city...)
(worse of it is that they actually give you 40 and 50 yrs credits so go figure...)

1 close the door... (dang!, the damn cat now scratches the door making as much noise as it can to get in... well at least we tried... dont take the salad buffet form the poor little kitty...)

2 Play lottery, chances are you will win before you get striked by a lightning (as we usually spend a lot of free time in front of the pc...user added image)

3 Theres a moment when things are "done" and that moment almost never coincides with the time where "i wont change a thing of it" what that means is that no artist is ever 100%happy with its own art... Marketing is what makes the differenceuser added image

4 I would say we would have an easier time as moviemakers as script writters... it looks to me theres a huge lack of talent in that area lately... if my english were at a "native" level i would try...

im depressing myself as i type... lack of purpose and focus on it i suppose...

Last edited by dragonfx; 13-04-2004 at 09:32 AM.
# 6 13-04-2004 , 11:54 AM

Hey im 24 and feel just like u... (+seeing how the bulidings sector is a big bubble in spain right now, i just dont see how to buy a house...i mean, even if i got two low level jobs and my sweetheart and i pooled resources we would have to ask for a credit 40 yrs long and/or go to live outside any interesting city...)
(worse of it is that they actually give you 40 and 50 yrs credits so go figure...)

Lol try buying a house in london on anything undr £40,000 per year!!! house prices here are astronomical (and it's a craphole!!) user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 13-04-2004 , 12:45 PM
gotta writte "Harry Potter and the "philosopher´s" stone"... that isnt done yet, right?user added image

---------------------------------
Alan are you talking about the soho?... you would get impressed at how much expensive is (for example) a house with views to the retiro (and im talking about an at least 6 to very easily 7 numbers bill...without cents...) (and nobody likes madrid user added image)

Last edited by dragonfx; 13-04-2004 at 04:04 PM.
# 8 13-04-2004 , 11:03 PM
Had the same thoughs....wondering if i shound 'plan' for another career after having doubts. Hay, i first picked up Maya in Sep 2002 and have just kinda got a grasp of head modelling (I use 'grasp' very l o o s l e y - i'll post soon!).

I know i will eventually make it, but i also know it wont happen over night. I'm 19 have a least a good 5 years left in education before i have to start job hunting. Even then it may be a few years longer.

As far as learning to draw. Just pick up a pencil and pad a sketch four like 10-20 minuets a day. I'm sure improvements will be made after a few months.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 13-04-2004 at 11:08 PM.
# 9 14-04-2004 , 07:37 AM
Subscriber
Oooo. I hear you all. I feel that at 42, I'm too old to be starting out with Maya (though I've been training on it for the last year), and that I'll be too old to get a job in the 3d industry when I've got any semblance of experience with it. Worst of all, my partner has already been working in the games industry for the last four years as a concept/texture artist/web designer and I feel as if I have to keep up user added image

So much to do. So little time.

Why, oh why. Did I not take the BLUE pill?

# 10 14-04-2004 , 01:00 PM
The Maya Mountain
It's never too late to start something like this. When I was a teacher's assistant, one of my students was in his 60s! Many others were in the 30-40s. It's all about doing what you want to do in life.

# 11 14-04-2004 , 04:28 PM
Subscriber
Ok. But how many of your older students actually found a job in the industry? I find these days that age, even if you have the experience, does count against you. Too many companies want younger people that they can exploit and abuse (until said people wise up).

# 12 14-04-2004 , 06:14 PM
hey Soracia? how long have you lived in the real world? The world HATES younger people like me, 19 years old and the world hates me and won't give me opportunities cos i'm young.

# 13 14-04-2004 , 07:26 PM
Subscriber
Ohhh, you'll learn young padawan

# 14 14-04-2004 , 08:55 PM
dont worry zykotik... youth is cured with time... AND when you age a bit youll have 80% of chances of noticing that you will still have no opportunities(in 3d or whatever other competititive goal) because you dont have either "uberskills" (and/)or the right(enough) contacts... user added image

cheers...

"THE HORROR... THE HORROR!..."
. -Apocalypse now
---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by dragonfx; 14-04-2004 at 09:04 PM.
# 15 14-04-2004 , 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Soracia
Ok. But how many of your older students actually found a job in the industry? I find these days that age, even if you have the experience, does count against you. Too many companies want younger people that they can exploit and abuse (until said people wise up).

Yeah, but then thres always someone to take the garbage work... and if there werent they just have to switch to another country...cheers for the globalization... (yeah on the long run it will have its advantages... but now everyone not filthy rich will get screwed from it...)

I still remember the frist trainee offer i got:
(...)
...we like your profile...
(...)
-yeah you have to come from december 20 to janauary 9 from 11pm to 8 am...
(...)
-money? well, we will pay you the bus to come here...
(...)
-you mean i will be alone and in charge of the continuity of 1 broadcast air channel and 3 cable channels during new years eve?
-yeah
-and i wont get paid!?
- we are placing lot of confidence in you...
- and you mean that when the ppl in charge of that returns from its vacations i will be out without possibility of consideration for another position in the enterprise?
- well... right...
(...)

AND im pretty sure that the one going after me took the "training opportunity"... if only for the curricular boost it would give him...

Last edited by dragonfx; 14-04-2004 at 09:30 PM.