Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-01-2006 , 12:46 AM

Dogfight_Sequence

Hi all again!
Its been a while sience I last posted something here so I thought I'd share what I've been working on for the past couple of weeks.
The models I did about a year ago but I've redone the shaders and some of the textures. Anyway this is shots from cut 1 out of 2 so I just thought I'd get some feedback share some tipps!
Some of the elements are still rendering as I type so this isnt the whole bit. I'll hopefully post updates tomorrow and a playblast...
Everything is made in Maya and renderd with Mentalray and Maya's Renderer. I did a shot brakedown just to show you the different layers in comp, follow the link and theres a higher res version of it. I'll post full res links tomorrow aswell.

Hope you'll enjoy, C&C are always welcomed!
Take care
/Chris

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
Composite 1024
Tutorial
Full Render Movie

Beauty is worse than wine, it intoxicates both the holder and beholder - Immermann"

Last edited by Sir-Avalon; 25-06-2006 at 01:03 PM.
# 2 28-01-2006 , 01:07 AM
wow! thats really really excellent. fantastic composition, and excellent use of MR for HDRI! You deserve not one, but TWO cookies for this one! user added image

cYa LaTeR,
MaTt user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 28-01-2006 , 03:16 PM
nice technique! love the compositing and the hdri and the...everything!

# 4 28-01-2006 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
That is looking immense, gonna keep an eye on this thread.

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 5 28-01-2006 , 03:45 PM
Subscriber
nicE!!! looks so Real.!!:attn:

# 6 28-01-2006 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber
looks nice - i say it looks nice but i mean its awsome
bandit:
could u plz plz post ur where u got that sky/sun hdri image from or post ur the actual file plz its wat ive been looking for and would be helpful
but no pressure if u dont want to
user added image

thnx:

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 7 28-01-2006 , 07:22 PM
Thank you all for your comments! I hope I can post some updates later tonight and the first wip video. Im currently setting up the tracers that I want to include before I post the video.
Anyway heres another still with a tracer bullet.

pbman: user added image Sorry, but thats my personal work. If you'd like i'll write a short tutorial on how you can setup and render your own in Mentalray, it isnt that hard!

Cheers!
/Chris

user added image
Full Res of the same image

Beauty is worse than wine, it intoxicates both the holder and beholder - Immermann"
# 8 28-01-2006 , 09:06 PM
Subscriber
nice update
yeah sure if u dont mind telling me how u made the hdri image i would be gratefull if u can , as i have been told to photograph a chrome ball at multi exposure but then u end up being in it
clearly u havent done this an appears to me a much better way :attn:

thx

# 9 29-01-2006 , 05:36 PM
Ok, here we go. First output of the first cut. There is still some things that disturbs me on the first half a second... water and Me dosnt match up right but I'll keep working on it... the file is aprox. 10mb - All C&C are welcome because you tend to go a bit blind after a while!

Cut01a_WIP_0001.mov

Ive also put some hi-res stills from the cut, here they are:
Still_0001
Still_0002
Still_0003
Still_0004
Still_0005
Still_0006
Still_0007

pbman: I found this tutorial last night... No idea for me to write one when Ralf Habel has written a good one. Its pretty much the same method I used so read throuh it and try it out. I think he has a lens-shader for download as well for rendering latlong images!
HDR_envmaps rendering

btw. Pixero has written a ExposureControl lens shader that is also useful called JS_ExposureControl 1.1...
Jan Sandström - Pixero

I havent tried using Photoshop CS with HDRI but I've heard that it can read HDRI images. My HDRI enviroment looks like this in maya when I renderd it.

/Chris

# 10 29-01-2006 , 08:09 PM
Subscriber
thx foir the links will try those as soon as i can :attn:

just checked out the short vid - it is really good - nice bullets btw
cant wait for the whole sequence

# 11 29-01-2006 , 08:20 PM
Wow, that's really impressive!

I like how the camera swoops in for the first time, evens out and then follows the plane. The lighting also looks really nice as it reflects of off the cockpit and such. The sun flare is a nice touch as well.

I watched it several times to look for the ME & water issue that you mentioned, but I was hardpressed to see what you meant. There is a slightly darker blue line as the water meets the sky, but it's hardy noticable, especially when you watch the clip for the first time.

user added image

# 12 30-01-2006 , 05:19 PM
Thanks! user added image
Ive tried out different cameras for the following cuts and here is a quick update. Also I had to put an extra shoot in just to get it more fluent, so more work user added image

DF_WIP_c123_0001.mov

The spinn the Me dose in the end is just to get an idea when it should start to break, so dont pay too much attention to that...
Just to get an oppinion, is the last cut too long or??

/Chris

# 13 30-01-2006 , 05:56 PM
Subscriber
That's really impressive stuff, love to be able to get to that standard one day.

Just one question, how do you make your HDRI maps?

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 14 30-01-2006 , 06:16 PM
Tim_LIVID: Cheers!
The HDRI image is renderd in Maya with Mentalray... The basic scene setup is Maya Fluids for the water and then I have a skydome and I also use some fluids for the clouds... That is then renderd with a single camera in the center of the scene and taken into HDRShop for tweeking and to check the pixel values. I think the brightest pixel on my HDR image is around 1.8 and the lowest 0.4 from what I can remember.. Hope I answerd your question?

/Chris

# 15 30-01-2006 , 08:12 PM
Hey!
that looks awesome!
Very nice animation. Could you tell us, how you did the shots?