Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 61 03-12-2007 , 10:50 PM
Jr.Who
I'm personally leaning towards the second one. It has more sky in the shot and all I'd have to do is tune the lights down and change the lighting to more of a grey.

Here's the second one:

Attached Thumbnails
# 62 04-12-2007 , 10:23 AM
Are you going for a composition for this?

Whats the lighting set up that youve used?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 63 04-12-2007 , 02:41 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Are you going for a composition for this?

Whats the lighting set up that youve used?

I just posted the composites.

It was either a 3 or 4 light setup, I'll post the pics when I get into Maya later. Why do you ask?

# 64 04-12-2007 , 03:06 PM
Because at the moment I dont think that your lighting is matching the environment, also theres no reflection form the glass in the cockpit, it looks like the same render but a different backgorund.

# 65 04-12-2007 , 03:11 PM
Jr.Who

Because at the moment I dont think that your lighting is matching the environment, also theres no reflection form the glass in the cockpit, it looks like the same render but a different backgorund.

Ah! How would I do that? Just pop an image plane with the final image over the cockpit?

# 66 04-12-2007 , 03:13 PM
Hooo, flying now so cool men. Maybe put some fog? Just I think.
user added image

# 67 04-12-2007 , 04:15 PM
To compositie it you would have to try to match the lighting form the picture your using, look at where there are light spots/highlights/shadows on the clouds, is it direct sunlight or diffusing through clouds, all will make a difference.

Its a bit hard with just a sky background but you can get an overall idea of the lighting colours/direction etc.

What you could do is make an environment for the cockpit/spitfire to refelect using the background of the pic as the environment/ or add it to a plane to reflect.

You could use the backgorund as an image plane with fast renders on a low setting to get the overall lighting set up before cranking up the render settings and rendering in layers to give you much greater control.

these might help to explain it a bit better

https://studiolab.io.tudelft.nl/compv...g/compositing/

https://www.andrew-whitehurst.net/fx_light.html

https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tut...es_layers.html

# 68 04-12-2007 , 08:23 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by lealar
Hooo, flying now so cool men. Maybe put some fog? Just I think.
user added image

Where would I put the fog?

To compositie it you would have to try to match the lighting form the picture your using, look at where there are light spots/highlights/shadows on the clouds, is it direct sunlight or diffusing through clouds, all will make a difference.

Its a bit hard with just a sky background but you can get an overall idea of the lighting colours/direction etc.

What you could do is make an environment for the cockpit/spitfire to refelect using the background of the pic as the environment/ or add it to a plane to reflect.

You could use the backgorund as an image plane with fast renders on a low setting to get the overall lighting set up before cranking up the render settings and rendering in layers to give you much greater control.

these might help to explain it a bit better

https://studiolab.io.tudelft.nl/compv...g/compositing/

https://www.andrew-whitehurst.net/fx_light.html

https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tut...es_layers.html

Thanks for the links, Steve! I'll post again when I'm done reading them. Yeah, I'm going to change the lighting, but for now, I just want know which background will look better.

Anyway, I have 3 directional lights set up. The key light is set at an intensity of 1.0 and the 2nd and 3rd are set to 0.8 each. Here's a pic:

Attached Thumbnails
# 69 04-12-2007 , 10:17 PM
Jr.Who
Here's another go. I've changed the lighting a bit and switched over to mr.

Attached Thumbnails
# 70 04-12-2007 , 10:18 PM
Jr.Who
Although, ever since I turned on mr, the glass doesn't have an alpha now. I'm using a Phong E for the glass, does anyone know of a better material for it? Here's how it's set up:

Attached Images
# 71 05-12-2007 , 08:14 AM
I pretty much use Blinns for everything, although mental ray has some good built in meterials.

Your not getting an alpha as you need to switch it on in the mental ray tab, its under custom entities and you need to check pass surface to alpha (or something like that)

Also your spitfire looks quite reflective, turn it down, there quite dull with only slight spec highlights when the lights hitting them.

You might want to look into adding some fresnell effect to the cockpit/body, to crank the highlights to the edges of the model

# 72 05-12-2007 , 04:28 PM
Jr.Who

I pretty much use Blinns for everything, although mental ray has some good built in meterials.

Your not getting an alpha as you need to switch it on in the mental ray tab, its under custom entities and you need to check pass surface to alpha (or something like that)

Also your spitfire looks quite reflective, turn it down, there quite dull with only slight spec highlights when the lights hitting them.

You might want to look into adding some fresnell effect to the cockpit/body, to crank the highlights to the edges of the model

Hey gster, I switched on the alpha option in mr, but nothing happened. I even changed the glass to a blinn (which looks better BTW), but that didn't fix it either.

Thanks for the recommendations, but how do I turn on the fresnel effect?

# 73 05-12-2007 , 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Although, ever since I turned on mr, the glass doesn't have an alpha now. I'm using a Phong E for the glass, does anyone know of a better material for it? Here's how it's set up:

Dielectric materials can make good glass materials at times. But if you use it the wrong way it can really look like crap. Very nice spitfire btw.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 74 05-12-2007 , 05:36 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by AnthonyCg
Dielectric materials can make good glass materials at times. But if you use it the wrong way it can really look like crap. Very nice spitfire btw.

Thanks! I tried the dielectric and it did turn out like crap, lol. :p

# 75 05-12-2007 , 07:43 PM
I read your post about your lighting. For proper lighiting total light in the scene should not add up to more than one. For three lights it would be something like 0.6 0.2 0.2. Also It would look better if your main light was changed to abient and one of the extra lights was moved to within 40 degrees of the first the third should be across from the others. Given your model is air born i would consedr having the third light below and the main lights 45 degrees above the plane to simulate sunlight and ground reflection. Also the abient light should be tinted to match the background colour. Good Luck.

Also a very transpernt repeat layer of your background above the plane layer would give the image depth. And some kind of bumb on the metals would get rid of the coloured glass thing you got going on. Mabey a very low noise or a custom map to suit whatever metal that is.

Last edited by wokendreams; 05-12-2007 at 07:57 PM.