Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 18-12-2016 , 01:19 PM
Subscriber

How big of a polycount should the viewport be able to handle without issues?

So fairly new to modelling and just wondering how well your viewport should be able to deal with large polycounts. I am working on a patten that is at ca 500k polys right now and above 500k maya basically crashes.

Is this normal?
I have 16gb ram, i7 2600k 3.4ghz processor and two Nvidia Gtx 680 Sli

# 2 18-12-2016 , 07:31 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
500k polys is pretty high, I have yet to make any scene with that amount of polys. What are you doing that is that high?

# 3 19-12-2016 , 08:20 AM
Subscriber
I am making big patterns user added image like celtic style patterns. Basically a lot of planes arranged in a cool pattern.

Another scene I am making is a cathedral, the church itself has ca 13k polygons but there are a lot of small details and patterns in the scene so the count i over a million i think. But this one has horrible topology