Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-10-2003 , 11:25 AM

3 Faces of Test - for Maya

Hello everyone. Just thought I might share to you guys a plan that I have for myself as part of an attempt to get better at overall character modeling in Maya. Here I present 3 pen drawings I have made at random times either when bored in class or skipped boring class. Each have different purpose.

This clown is a test for Nurbs/Patches modeling
user added image

This demon is a test using SubD. More focus is on getting the hair exactly or almost the same. Also will attempt fur on facial hair. I hope my comp doesnt die out.
user added image

This weirdo guy (i wasnt on anything i swear!) is a test for Polygon modeling.
user added image

I know theres a animation challenge right now and I want to join it but I feel that I must first get better at modeling and then move on to other tasks. I will start with what i feel most uncomfortable with and that is the Clown test. Im also still working on that commando gopher which I will use later on for animation learning.
Anyway, WIP soon.

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>

Last edited by orgeeizm; 08-10-2003 at 11:54 AM.
# 2 08-10-2003 , 11:43 AM
Lovely drawings! Looking forward to see them come alive one day...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 08-10-2003 , 11:57 AM
Thanks kbrown. I am reading about Nurbs and Patches right now on this book Maya4.5 Savvy. Pretty weird and interesting I must say. Btw, I like your saying in your signature. Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 4 08-10-2003 , 01:05 PM
Nice sketches, bud. Kinda have a graffiti art quality to them.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 08-10-2003 , 10:55 PM
Thanks. Yeah the clown was drawn because of my friends influence in highschool. They were into lowriders and tagging. I never got into tagging but I really like the clowns that they always drew, so I drew my own. Anyway, Im having a hard time with nurbs and patches, i will post some wip later so show some of the problems i get.

# 6 12-10-2003 , 07:17 PM
Very very good stuff buddy! user added image

# 7 13-10-2003 , 04:57 PM
Cool sketches. I cannot wait to see them as models. I usually model in polys. I model as if I were using nurbs patchs and then I merge the verts. Polies are so much easier to work. I saw a new function in 5.0, if I get it to work. You can convert the polies to subD's and then the SubD's to Nurbs. That would be sweet to model and texture with the ease of pollies and then animate with the cleanes of nurbs. Have not tried it though.

# 8 14-10-2003 , 07:16 AM
What is it about clowns that are so evil? user added image

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 9 14-10-2003 , 12:38 PM
lol!!.....i know a very evil clown.... IT user added image

# 10 14-10-2003 , 12:39 PM
clowns are so evil because they are so innocent. user added image

# 11 04-11-2003 , 03:20 PM
Subscriber
Nice drawingsuser added image

# 12 04-11-2003 , 03:26 PM
Subscriber
Clowns??? ...... you people think clowns are evil???? ..... you fell for the same plow as the rest of the freaking world.... Clowns are just patsy's.... It's Mimes that you should be worried about.... MIMES!!!!!!! They've got powers... and invisible object that they can throw at you.... I need to take my medicine now.. MIMES.... remember that...

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 13 04-11-2003 , 07:53 PM
Subscriber
Great stuff. I love the sketches especially the clown.user added image

This was me for Halloween.

user added image

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 14 04-11-2003 , 09:06 PM
Hey thanks IceQueen.

I think mimes are stuck in the middle of two dimensions..Theyre bodies are here, but the objects they see are in another dimension..Either that or their just schizophranic haha

3dJoe: thats a great looking mask! haha i bet you had scaring people!