Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 13-03-2011 , 11:24 AM
Subscriber

cloudy with a chance of meatballs 'hair'

Hey guys, im making a short film, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

The characters hair,i want like Flint from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs but i dont know the best way to achieve this.

Obviously my character is just a rough proxy version now and would need to be redone, but was wondering if any of you guys could give any advice. I'd preferably like to use a hair shader on geo rather than hair, but if its not possible.

Im open to any ideas! thank you in advance user added image

Attached Thumbnails

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 2 14-03-2011 , 05:13 AM
Subscriber
i haven't seen the movie but i'm going to guess you can do hair like that with some planes, texture them, and then if you want to animate it you'd just soft skin it.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 14-03-2011 , 05:37 AM
Been awhile since I've done hair and not sure what the best method is but apart from having programs like shave and a haircut you can get some decent results with paint effects hair on curves. You could convert the hair to polygons. I've never tried to animate hair before so I'm no help in that area but my preference when it comes to creating hair with only Maya is using paint. It's not too difficult either once you do it a few times.

Just keep in mind though that I'm not sure how it would be animated appropriately. Perhaps someone else will know the answer to that.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!