Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-08-2014 , 01:44 AM

Mesh Ruined By Merging Vertices

I was creating a model as usual, and this problem I've never encountered before occurs. Appearently when wanting to re-connect a cube to itself, to create some sort of ring shape, merging the vertices doesn't really connect them correctly. Here is an example of a basic shape made by extruding:
user added image

Looks like a completely normal, non-connected extruded cube, correct? Alright, well I proceed by connecting each of the 4 vertices to the opposite with the Merge Vertices tool, as shown below:
user added image

This is the result, once again, completely normal:
user added image

Now then, I attempt to smooth it with '3'(keyboard). As you can see, the connected corner goes full retard:
user added image

Alright, that's fine, as I don't need to particularly smooth it. Now I try to use the Insert Edge Loop tool, and as you can see, as long as it doesn't cross the retard border that was connected, the lines end up fine, but if not, they are doomed to create some sort of zig-zag line on the border or not connect to the other side:
user added image

Am I suppose to connect them some other way, or could it somehow be some settings I have. If you don't believe me, go ahead and try it yourself. I have tried deleting one of the faces before connecting, but the result ends up the same.

# 2 15-08-2014 , 08:03 AM
Subscriber
Delete the inner faces will fix the problem

# 3 20-08-2014 , 08:48 PM
Yeah delete the faces before you merge them, so it's completely hollow

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^