Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-02-2012 , 03:30 AM
Subscriber

changing measurements to feet/inches, maya 2012

hey

i was just wondering how i would go about changing the units of measure to feet or inches... im making model of a cabin i want to build

thank you in advance, any information is greatly appreciated

# 2 27-02-2012 , 03:53 AM
EduSciVis-er
Window > Settings/Preferences > Preferences > Settings tab under Working Units.

# 3 27-02-2012 , 04:41 AM
Just remember this will set the units for the current scene.

When you save that scene you changed the unit for they will be retained but any new scene will switch back to the default units of centimeter.

I used to think that Maya switching back to centimeters for all new files was a bug but apparently it is by design. You can go into one of the Maya startup files and set the default to a different unit. I can't remember the path, it's been a long time, and I was advised against it.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 27-02-2012 at 04:46 AM.
# 4 17-11-2016 , 07:20 AM

hey

i was just wondering how i would go about changing the units of measure to feet or inches... im making model of a cabin i want to build

thank you in advance, any information is greatly appreciated

Hi,
I wouldn't recommend you to change the default unit to feet/inches. Because Maya will go crazy and do weird stuff if you do so. But there is an alternative. If you want to work with feet and inches, use the gridline. I have made a video tutorial in this. Click the link below to watch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF1sEN9B1CA