Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-01-2017 , 08:20 AM

Kitbashing

Hi there, Im a newbie Maya user and i've been doing my 3D work mainly on Zbrush. I want to create my own assets in Unity and i think using Maya is better than Zbrush. So i have this idea of bringing in my low poly kits to Maya and i successfully imported them. The problem is that my kits are grouped together as one FBX file. The thing that i want to do is to separate each objects or subtools in zbrush so that i can just import each one of them to my scene whenever i need em. So in Zbrush you have the Insertmultimesh function wherein all of the subtools are made into a brush and you just simply pull them out from the brush set. SO i'm wondering if this type of function is available in maya. I saw some artist do kitbashing in maya but i only see them on a time lapse video on youtube.

user added image

Thank you in advance user added imageuser added image

# 2 21-01-2017 , 11:00 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey welcome to the site

love kit bashing.

So you say this is a grouped FBX?? In maya if something is grouped it means the separate objects are placed under a top node called a group node and are all named individually.

However it sounds to me that your objects are combined into one single object and you want to extract each piece from the singular object?? Am I right?

Cheers
Jay

# 3 21-01-2017 , 01:40 PM
As you can see on the picture the kits are already separated though they are not grouped well but that's not the issue.user added image

What i want to achieve is something like these in Zbrush where in i can just pull them on my brush library and drop them onto my model. I know there's is no such function in maya. No that i know of. So is there a way to do this without using Visor because its the only option i saw on the internet. I'd love to have a library of kits and i can see them on the fly so that i wont have to remember each of their name. Else i think Visor is the only workaround. Thank you!
user added image

# 4 22-01-2017 , 07:16 PM
Well because Maya is a totally different animal to Zbrush and the Visor doesnt exist anymore. In Maya 2017 you have the content browser.

With anything maya you basically have a script that can look at each individual model, but first the models need saving separately in a directory say called 'Hardsurface Kits'.

but with content browser you will see the models in a similar way to this zbrush feature

You can use this script to export each part of your kit as multiple objects and just place them in a folder where you want the browser to look and then you will have something similar to use

https://www.highend3d.com/maya/scrip...orter-for-maya

Jay

# 5 23-01-2017 , 02:08 PM
Thank you for the tip.s Ill try this one out. Thanks again user added image

# 6 23-01-2017 , 02:33 PM
no problem, if it works, please share what you did with the rest of the site....

Jay

# 7 24-01-2017 , 04:11 AM
Hi there..the script doesnt seem to work. I tried to export but the directory is empty. I think im doing it wrong. Should i import my kits as OBJ or fbx?I think it,s my Maya version?I'm using 2016.

Last edited by Diemechanicus; 24-01-2017 at 04:15 AM.