Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-03-2017 , 07:00 PM

How to prepare a medieval castle in Maya for further sculpting in ZBrush?

How to do I get a medieval castle in a way to be able to add detail (building stones and decay) in ZBrush?
In some cases in Maya, the wall is one face.But in ZBrush you cannot sculpt on one face. And if I divide it it becomes a huge mesh, unmanageable.
Any idea?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 25-03-2017 , 11:47 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
We face problems like this all the time in VFX, where the model is simply too big to sculpt in one go. So.....the simple solution is to basically create a duplicate version and separate it out into sections and bring each piece into zbrush and do your sculpts on individual subtools.

Once you are happy with your sculpts you will need to create your displacement maps or normal maps. If areas of the model share the same uv tiles you will have to combine maps together. Also its advisable to then update the meshes with the meshes that have been sculpted on and usually at a division level of one or two above the base mesh to allow for better displacements at render time

Cheers
Jay

# 3 29-03-2017 , 07:02 PM
Do I use Dynamesh on the imported subtool? or simply subdivide it?

# 4 29-03-2017 , 11:21 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Thats entirely up to you....try both see whats best for you at the end of the day

J