Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 18-06-2007 , 07:15 PM
Quick pic with the bump turned right down to see what I looks like.

Really think i'll mix up some very bumpy areas with some smooth areas, maybe bumpy for a bit of "rotten" stubble????

Attached Thumbnails

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 18-06-2007 , 08:18 PM
19 year Veteran
I think that looks alot better, but thats just my opinion. I would really like to see it mixed with some SSS.

# 18 18-06-2007 , 10:54 PM
Jr.Who
Meh, I think it needs to be a little bit bumpier. It looks too smooth in some areas. The color looks good though.
user added image

# 19 19-06-2007 , 05:36 AM
Cheers guys,

It's got quite a bit of sub surface saattering on there already, in fact it might be a tad much.

I dont really want to push the SSS lower material over the top, i'll have a tweek in the final render once all the modelings done.

The image below shows the SSS effect, the sphere on the left has SSS on where the one on the right i've disabled all the SSS properties in the shader (so its almost like a lambert in effect), the specularity comes from a transparant blinn thats screened over the top using a mix20layer mental ray shader.

Attached Thumbnails

# 20 19-06-2007 , 08:39 AM
19 year Veteran
I like the one on the right better but thats just me. Are you using any HDRI in that pic. If not, could you render out another one with it?

# 21 19-06-2007 , 09:47 AM
No probs THX

The image above didnt have any HDR, final gather or anything, it was just a simple 3 point lighting set up, 2 x Area lights and a spot light just to evaluate the colour and the scattering effect.

The image below is rendered just with a HDR image, as described on the pic the one on the left has SSS on and the one on the right has it switched off, all the weightings set to 0 except the diffuse weight thats set to 1 (so just the colour map shows).

As you can see the one with the SSS is absorbing the light and scattering it between its layers, giving the reddish tinge on the upper right edge, (you can see it beter in the above image as theres a back spotlight there making it absorb and scatter more).

I decided to have a play with spheres to get a ball park as the render times only a few seconds compared with a few mins when the final characers mapped and done.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by gster123; 19-06-2007 at 09:50 AM.
# 22 19-06-2007 , 10:15 AM
Little bit of an update on the character

Made a base mesh of a starfish and imported it into Zbrush for a touch of a sculpt and added it to the Briney Pirate as a sub tool.

Attached Thumbnails

# 23 19-06-2007 , 11:43 AM
Subscriber
i like the shader with sss
but i dont like the starfish
doesnt suit him

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 24 19-06-2007 , 11:49 AM
Jr.Who
The SSS one looks much better, but I agree with pbman, that starfish doesn't fit him. If you're doing his whole body maybe you could put it somewhere else on his body.

# 25 19-06-2007 , 12:11 PM
hmm

What would you guys recommend? I dont just want to add a texture to him, I'd rarther add some sort of see "accessories" to him to add a bit to his character, maybe some barnicles?

# 26 19-06-2007 , 01:37 PM
Subscriber
you should consider this if you want to make make more small detailes:
earring
scars/wounds (hey he is a pirateuser added image)
some kind of "logo" pirate mark on the hat
maybe a eyepach

and i dont like the star fish, sorry user added image

"If some thing is hard to do it isnt worth doing"
# 27 19-06-2007 , 01:47 PM
Jr.Who
Barnacles would be much better than the starfish. I also agree with Apedominator, except for the eye patch, those would be cool.
user added image

# 28 19-06-2007 , 01:58 PM
Subscriber
tweak i would recommend:
Eyes should maybe be a bit bigger and fishier
the ears could have a fish look and not so human (like the nose)
it think it would be a good idear to make the gills a bit deeper

looking good:attn:

"If some thing is hard to do it isnt worth doing"
# 29 19-06-2007 , 05:45 PM
Cheers Guys

I was thinking of making the eyes fishey, but I think that it would take it too far away from a "human" form so I decided to keep it human.

Ive been trying to make a barnicle using a cusotm alpha brush, its not really looking too good at the mo, might do with a bit of a tweek though, or just model on then use a random mel script to vary each of the barnicles, bhave to have a think the best way to do it.

# 30 19-06-2007 , 07:36 PM
19 year Veteran
I like the sphere with the SSS turned on better. I don't think barnicles or a starfish suits the character very well IMO. I think the problem is that it's looks too pretty so to say. The fishy pirates in POTC: Dead Mans Chest, were monster and grotesque looking. Your Pirate doesn't have that look. make him ugly and the barnicals and starfish will work.

Of course this is just my opinion.