Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 28-03-2012 , 01:37 PM

Multi patch uv and painting in Mari (or any other 3d painting tool)?

I am trying to understand how multipatch painting works. I started learning Mari painting software. Saw a couple of tutorials on that showing how they paint beyond 0-1 uv space. They import 1 obj into Mari and have multi uv patches for that obj layed beyond 0-1 space. How should i lay my UV patches in Maya to import into painting tool with multi patches?

# 2 30-03-2012 , 12:42 AM
Ok so, done a research on this. If anyone interested; if iyou want to work with one object in Mari with 1 uv map, you have to lay all the UV patches of that obj in 1 map. But if you dont want to get low res textures for your squeezed patches in 0-1 space, you can make another layout and place them in 1-2 space in the same map. If you have alot of patches that needs to get high quality textures just go through 2-3 space with the patches you want. Than you have to import the maps and textures into maya and apply multipatch render workflow. If its ok to share theres one nice tut in here... https://www.digitaltutors.com/11/trai...play=1&vid=513

I am not certain how this will effect shader applying process though... Still thinking about which one will work better. Applying shaders on faces after the texture painting, or making different UV maps for different combined objects and working with multiple objects in Mari. We will see...

# 3 30-03-2012 , 09:06 AM
The Nurb Herd
so if you are applying multiple shaders... what is the point? Also applying to shaders to faces can eventually slow everything down.

# 4 02-04-2012 , 05:18 AM
I didn't understand your point exactly. Every project has more than 1 shaders usually right? I layed the UVs in different spaces. Every space will get 1 shader. Also i can assign new resolution for every UV space seen in the picture below. It makes it easier to work in mari by applying different colours to patches and gives you more freedom on resolution for different patches.

I haven't done texturing before, learning from this process. I will see the outcomes when i get some progress. What did you mean by your question exactly? And did you see the video on the post?

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 02-04-2012 , 01:57 PM
The Nurb Herd
i mean, what is the point in laying out your UVs 0-1, 1-2 etc if you are using multiple materials? the Uvs repeat so it doesn't matter. The only benefit would be that your UV editor would be nice and neat. you could use uv sets.
Sorry i didn't watch the video. I use the method you are talking about at work. If i have a character i can have a 4k map for the head and the arms and the body etc but all these maps are connected to one shader. its cool it works great. it takes some time to setup especially in mental ray.
For a beginner its a total waste of time. just learn the regular material setup first. It certainly shouldn't be in the newbies section of the forum. I don't mean its difficult, just that it takes more time to setup and is probably totally unnecessary.

# 6 02-04-2012 , 04:49 PM
I know, it took me some time to learn this. But really i had no idea how to import the UVs into mari. Several different objects or 1 object with multi patches or a single uv map. I am unfamiliar to 3d painting programs so i t will take some time to master the best technique in Mari. But i think this one worked well for me bec i have so many little pieces that needs to be dealt individually. Laying out the UVs took alt of time though. Very time consuming. I would go 1 single map if i had a normal map from a subdivided model. In that case it would be shorter... Also different projects for different puposes, requires different workflows and there are alot of them, which i never experienced user added image

Yeah alot of time spent on multiple UV layout, but i have different sized maps for different parts now. user added image

# 7 02-04-2012 , 05:21 PM
The Nurb Herd
So if you are unfamiliar with texturing/uv/shading, why are you using Mari?

"Yeah alot of time spent on multiple UV layout, but i have different sized maps for different parts now."

cool, but i think you just wasted a lot of time if i'm honest. How many objects were selected when you did your snapshot?

# 8 02-04-2012 , 07:10 PM
I just combined all the parts and imported the object in mari(just bec i wanted to work with 1 obj in mari and not worry about different parts) . Mari got the UV from the obj. But now i will have to do the seperate and combine again in Maya to apply different shaders. I know something is not practical. Its going wrong. But i kinda learned alot of texturing during that time and another software. Still trying to figure out the correct workflow.

My model is also not very practical in the first place. I had problems in texturing subdivided meshes before, so i decided to go polygonal. But at the end i have a high poly obj to UV map. So its not practical at all. I would have gone; subd high res model and used normal maps if i knew it was going to end like this. I mean i dont honestly think this model is practical with polygon count if you think about the UV and texturing process...

Why do i use mari? I kinda like the idea of painting on UV maps and 3d model itself at the sametime. Gives you some freedom in expressions. And heard it has some benefits. I think it is a very strong tool if you master it. On my way...

# 9 02-04-2012 , 09:50 PM
The Nurb Herd
fair enough...
Mari is supposed to be pretty good, i've not used it but, would suggest that unless you have a pirate copy, you probably wont master it in the free trial period. I still do most of my texturing in nuke or photoshop. i generally get given textures which only need touching up, so i don't paint them from scratch.
i guess its all a big learning experience. I guess you will know what to do for your next model. user added image