Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 21-06-2016 , 03:11 PM
EduSciVis-er

Ext 2 - New render layer system

Who's been using the new render layer system "Render Setup" in Maya 2016.5 or Ext 2?

Two questions:
1) Is there any way to re-order the render layers? This defines what renders first, I presume, and it was super easy in the legacy system.

2) Is there any way to re-use collections across render layers? It's kind of a pain to create identical "All_my_Geo" collections in many render layers. Or at the very least, duplicate a collection, since you might want the "same" collection in different layers to have different overrides. Can't figure this one out.

# 2 22-11-2016 , 07:14 PM
Hi There,
I had the same issue actually. Really frustrated that I could not "copy and paste" or duplicate a render layer easily.

I think I've found the solution:
Instead of copy and pasting - Right click on your collection and "export selected" - saving the collection as a .json. Then, when you want to add that collection to another layer, right click that new layer and select "import user template".

Edit: Just realized there is a limitation to this however. If you change the collection in one layer it wont update in the others. Though I guess they would tell you to use some sort of expression to populate the layers instead... *shrug*

I don't understand why they wont let you alt/ctrl + drag collections. It's ridiculous. If anyone out there knows a better way, please let us know.
-Juser added image