Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-11-2011 , 04:41 AM
Perennial Noob

Testing a dragon wing

My project has dragon-style wings. I want to focus on the wings alone without having to deal with any distractions (I seem to go off on tangents easily) so I deleted the rest of the model and saved as wing_test.

I am planning to use soft bodies and gravity to make the wing membrane flop around. Is there a way to keep the wing from falling to the floor when I turn on the gravity? Would I have to build an armature to attatch it to? Is there a better way to animate a dragon wing?

# 2 15-11-2011 , 05:28 AM
Technical Director
This is quite a complex question; as any solution will require a lot of work for a truly automated system. Take a look into nCloth. You can paint the stiffness of the wings, as well as other properties.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 17-11-2011 , 05:11 AM
Perennial Noob
Yeah, I wish I could use nCloth. I only have Maya 6 Unl.

# 4 23-11-2011 , 04:35 AM
Perennial Noob

Idea

Could I separate the wing "fingers" from the membrane and turn the membrane into a cloth object and attach it to the fingers? Any good toots on how to do this with Cloth?

I have thought about manually adjusting the verts in the membrane in the folded state and adding attributes just to get the project done. (that's a lot of adjusting, though)