Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-07-2011 , 05:23 AM
Acid44

Cleaning up a scene?

The Skyline scene I'm working on is getting to be a pain on export with all the different objects and smoothing levels. Whenever I export I seem to have copies of the old (unsmoothed) geo in place as well as the smoothed. All I know to do is delete history and freeze transformations before exporting.

I've noticed that when I delete a few things from the outliner, the unsmoothed crap is no more, but half the time I end up deleting other crap and not noticing to.

Is there an easy way to kill all the old geometry and just have the new geometry left behind? Could I just select all in the outliner, deselect the geometry in view, and hit delete?

Any suggestions to cleaning my scene?

# 2 17-07-2011 , 07:32 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi Acid
I would first save the scene as original_back up or something like that , then delete all history, save the scene as cleanup, then select the objects which are visible and give them recogniseable names, then group those objects and give the group a good name and put it in a layer and turn visibilty to templated, then go to the outliner and delete all nodes which aren't in the group, I normally select nodes ad press F in the viewport, center the pivot and move about randomly if nothing in the templated layer moves and nothing is visible I delete it, the same goes for objects I don't need anymore.

As a tip I would suggest you start naming and organizing stuff while you work since it will save you much headache in the end user added image

# 3 17-07-2011 , 11:49 AM
Acid44
Cool man, will try that, thanks a lot. Definitely will start being more organized with it... Never even used the outliner before, other than to select grouped objects, didn't realize it had such an effect

# 4 17-07-2011 , 12:52 PM
Subscriber
Adding to that there is an option to Optimize the scene (under File>optimize) - then it has an option box with many different things for maya to look for and remove - once or twice that has halved my scene file size. But again save before using.

Can`t believe you never used the outliner at much - mine is always open floating on my second screen.

# 5 17-07-2011 , 02:27 PM
The Nurb Herd

Never even used the outliner before, other than to select grouped objects, didn't realize it had such an effect

wow. user added image

# 6 17-07-2011 , 02:57 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Another free tip Acid:
select the object that's in the group you want to select, then press the " up" arrow it will select the group them ( up arrow traverses up in the hierarchy).
I personally never used the optimize scene before, so I can't say if it's any good, but I don't like the idea of computer(program)s deciding which object has to go or not ( in general computers aren't big on the thinking part...luckily), so I rather do stuff like thi smanually so that I know for sure that the scene is good when I am done ...

# 7 17-07-2011 , 10:43 PM
Acid44
Is it really that bad that I haven't made use of the outliner? user added image

I'll check out the optimize scene option, thanks for the suggestions guys!

# 8 17-07-2011 , 10:55 PM
Subscriber

Is it really that bad that I haven't made use of the outliner? user added image

I always thought it was part of basic use of Maya 101 - but you have proven us all wrong

# 9 17-07-2011 , 11:51 PM
Acid44
That was a bit harsh.

I've cleaned up the scene now, thanks a ton for the help guys.

Another question though: Is FBX file size basically based on the poly count/animation size, etc.? The scene is sitting at around 1.2 million polys fully smoothed and the FBX is at about 100 MB, any way to reduce this? Or is that just how it is?

# 10 18-07-2011 , 02:20 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL dont worry acid...Im in the same boat...I didnt use the outliner until a month or so ago...I used the layer manager all the time as I use CAD at work. Once you get used to the outliner though you will see the benefits. I thought it was just another layer manager but it gives you more freedom to select and deselect individual components and groups. So while the others were doing 101 we were obviously wagging class and fishing and drinking beer instead...LOL.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 18-07-2011 , 02:53 AM
Acid44
I've just never had these problems before, or seen it used in a tutorial for that matter... Didn't occur to me that it would screw the scene so hard...