Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 28-08-2006 , 05:56 AM

Creating carved text

How would you create craved text? E.g. Like the carved text off a tombstone.

How can I make use of the Create Text tool inside Maya for this?

Last edited by parka; 28-08-2006 at 06:08 AM.
# 2 28-08-2006 , 06:03 AM
I tried using the Create Text in the menu to create some text.
Then I extruded the curves to make them into polygons.

When I boolean difference with the tombstone, everything disappears!
I've check the normals which were all facing out. Maybe it's too complicated for boolean?

# 3 28-08-2006 , 10:28 AM
not sure if it'll work, but did you try booleaning just one text at a time? and while soing so, try to make the text thicker and just insert it like 1/4 into the tombstone.

Otherwise, if it doesn't work, try this technique. put the text letters in place. > go to front view where you can see a view facing it front on. THen use the split polygon tool and trace the otuline of the text onto the tombstone > then use split polygon again to add in lines where there should be lines and > extrude. Hope that helps, although it will take longer to do it this way.

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs