Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 106 29-12-2007 , 12:50 PM
Subscriber
a couple more lights and now..??

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy
# 107 31-12-2007 , 08:03 AM
Subscriber
.05 of glow.., diffuse off (on the dart metal shader and ring shaders)

backdrop darker.

i think im coming to the end of this one.., never was into sport much.., but i do like darts.., i like anything where one aims to hit a target user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 108 31-12-2007 , 08:10 AM
Subscriber
because theres so much interest in this one user added image ??? here is the model.., next project..?? have to try organics one day..??

Attached Thumbnails

# 109 31-12-2007 , 08:24 PM
hmmm.. i dunno mirek - i think this still needs a bit of work - for me the composition seems a bit tame... i think it might be more interesting to have the camera in front of the dart board, maybe with a few darts already in the board and the camera behind a dart flying towards the board...just to spice things up.

sorry for the late crit and of course tell me to **** off if you have your heart set on what you have. user added image

# 110 31-12-2007 , 08:53 PM
Subscriber
i agree, and in my defense ill say i was trying to stay true to the picture.., but its certainly something to consider..., maybe a bit of motion blur on the moving dart too .., mmm??

i could group the dart and import it to a new scene as a referenced object.

thanks mate.

# 111 31-12-2007 , 09:00 PM
yeah - don't you just love maya? want to try something new? - just duplicate it or import it into a new scene and start experimenting. user added image try to experiment with a painting and you screw up the whole thing!

# 112 31-12-2007 , 09:42 PM
i don't mean to be a downer, but dartboards usually have numbers from 1-20 (yours seems to only have 18 places)... at least it's easily fixed. i must say that i do like the old-fashioned dart though. darts nowadays kinda look too high-tech (if that's possible for a dart)

Accept no substitutions.
# 113 01-01-2008 , 12:10 AM
Subscriber
i agree, i have a few references for modern darts.., but the curves on the older models are nicer.., the new ones dont seem to have curves.., mainly cylinders.., (that probably sounds completely ridiculous.) :?

as you say arron, things are easily fixed in a 3D environment. user added image

thats amazingly observant strider.., I really didnt think anyone would notice, but its the details eh.., i didnt realise it myself until i was out of photoshop (bad excuse user added image )

i dont know what the weather is like where you guys are but its been over 40 here for a while.., ill be modeling air conditioners soon.., just to stay cool by referred imagination.., if there is such a thing. today.., im completely exhausted but..,

thanks for the interest (?) and thought user added image i will do this again with both your suggestions in mind.

# 114 01-01-2008 , 02:56 AM
Subscriber
I agree somewhat. I think it needs a story, at the moment it's just a dart on a board and it doesn't tell me anything in particular. You don't have to be too explicit, but for instance you could add a few more darts with a different colored flag strewn about randomly in the lower scoring areas, and use some heavy DOF with the same camera angle.

You don't need anything too epic, but we need to know why we should care about this dart. 'Oh. Okay. Someone's being creamed by a really skilled dart player. ' Even that's enough for us to guess at a story.

You could also create an effective piece without a clear story, of course. But no matter which way you go, I think you need to give the scene more love. I think it's important to note that with images like this, it's usually interesting because we are forced to closely examine the small details with a fresh focused perspective that you give us. At the moment though, there's little detail for us to notice. You should try and break up these forms, the highlights, just make it more random and natural - get rid of that procedural look! user added image

It seems like a lot of work, but you can always hide laziness behind depth of field. There's actually a fairly narrow band that will need extreme detail. The rest can be filled in by our minds.

Last edited by Funky Bunnies; 01-01-2008 at 03:11 AM.
# 115 01-01-2008 , 06:33 AM
Subscriber
again well put.., very well put.., i thought of depth of field but kind of let it go from lack of interest.., theres only so far one can go with a dart.., loving a dart.., or so one thinks.., you are totally correct of course there should be a reason we care about this dart.., i should have remembered this.

DOF.., laziness .., LOL.., lets just call it 'area of interest' as 'we guide the viewer's eye.'

i got caught up with procedural textures as im not too good with projections (I forget) but i have the tuts and such to go by. i tried to break it up (the dart) with fractal and/or noise .., but it played havoc with the lighting (i was going through the ambient colour channel) and it was late in the piece.., so i ditched that.., realising that a matt texture is sort of random access and can be changed at will, with no effort other than to open PS and paint or add filter.., so the painted texture is somewhat king.

live and learn.

you are correct, sounds a lot of work.., but its not. Arrons suggestion is a good one and im trying to visualise that now.., yours is MUCH easier.., you bring a with you strong knowledge of story structure.., now im trying to decide which way to go..??

whats going on?.., oh well.., im not going to question it user added image .., many thanks to you all user added image its all very helpful for this image, the next and so on..,

# 116 14-01-2008 , 01:00 AM
Subscriber
well this is about it., theres only so long one can kee an interest in , modelling a dart (unless one is paid) i have a few other projects on the go ill post up soon

Attached Thumbnails

# 117 21-01-2008 , 02:07 PM
wood on the dart looks pretty good there.

there's an incredibly short depth of field, looks kinda strange cause the wood of most, if not all, of the dart looks pretty sharp, but the flights have blur to them.

Accept no substitutions.
# 118 21-01-2008 , 02:40 PM
Subscriber
i was thinking about that on the way back from the shoot today.., what are the main connections that effect DOP.., focal length, aperture (whats that in maya??),

yea it would make a difference

cheers user added image

# 119 21-01-2008 , 02:44 PM
uh focal distance, can't remember the exact attribute, but that's basically what it is... and then you can increase and decrease the amount of stuff in focus with the other value found in depth of field. it might also be different if you're using a mental ray depth of field thingy(i'm at work and can't remember the attributes or proper names lol, sorry)

Accept no substitutions.
# 120 21-01-2008 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber
ill get there somehow user added image

M user added image

hey.., it looks really dark suddenly.., this graphics card is playing up again.., im tempted to only use the mac

Last edited by mirek03; 21-01-2008 at 03:19 PM.