Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-05-2008 , 07:24 PM

Zoinks! Maya PLE does not support plugins!

Hope that got your attention!

In case you hadn't already figured it out, I am a Maya newbie! user added image

I have been learning about Maya using the PLE (Painfully Limited Edition) and have just discovered (I think) that it does not support plugins or import/export for most of the file types I would ever want to use for modding. This makes me sad. user added image

Please tell me that I am wrong, that this is all a bad dream, and that when I wake up, $5G programs will suddenly become free and everyone will learn to love one another and be happy and eat lots of cheese.

# 2 05-05-2008 , 07:39 PM
mmmm.... cheese.....

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 06-05-2008 , 12:25 AM
sharp cheddar.

get yourself an educational license. not sure where you are, but in the US, it will cost you $350 - $400.

# 4 06-05-2008 , 06:22 AM

Originally posted by arran
sharp cheddar.

get yourself an educational license. not sure where you are, but in the US, it will cost you $350 - $400.

Ah, to be twenty again! Alas, I am not a student, so no discounts for me. Thanks, anyway.

I take it by your response, however, that my supposition is correct?

# 5 06-05-2008 , 07:41 AM
Senior Software Developer
All Maya PLE versions are resticted by:

Watermarks on renders (which makes renders hard to see)
Limited Export formats (I think u get ma and mb for your troubles)
NO plugin support (that means zero, nada, zilch, nyiet)

PLE is designed to teach u the basics of modelling, lighting and everything Maya. TBH as long as you enrole in a learning program and get an id, you should qualify for a Student Edition.

Maya PLE means learning Maya and nothing else, which is fine until u want to start to incorporate other geometries from other applications...

Save your cash up until u have around $2,000 for the Complete Version or $5,000 for Unlimited.

There is a free modelling software out there called Blender, and its very good, esp since its open source (https://www.blender.org/)

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 06-05-2008 , 09:21 AM
just find yourself a friendly student.

or better yet, just take a higher education course in....maya! that's what my wife did. it might cost you a bit, but it'll still be a ton cheaper than buying it proper and you'll still have some change for some Caciocavallo Podolico.

# 7 06-05-2008 , 09:42 AM
@ R@nSiD: Thank you very much for clearing that up for me! I do know about Blender (I've even used it a little) but I can't use it for some of the things I want to do owing to a lack of plugins and such. Hence my interest in Maya PLE.

@arran: Don't think I'm quite ready for the drastic career change. user added image I'm an old dog: I got a steady job, a mortgage, the whole nine yards. Although my job is getting pretty annoying....

Anyways, thanks to everyone for the input. You're a very friendly bunch!

# 8 07-05-2008 , 09:25 AM
PLE actually allows you to import FBX from other software, but it only allows you to save as it's own proprietary formats (.ML and .FBL i think. .FBL allows compatibility with MotionBuilder PLE) Giving PLE full functionality would defeat the purpose of owning the business (free software does not make money), but as is, it is still a superior option for many over granting a full version for a limited time (then denying access altogether, like other software options).

# 9 08-05-2008 , 01:46 AM
@Kratch: Thanks for the input. Using your funny file extensions I was able to unearth this document, which would have answered all of my questions in the first place.

(Now why couldn't I find that the first time?) user added image

And I agree: the PLE, in spite of its limitations is a good thing. 30-day trials are just too much of a bummer.

I consider this case to be officially: closed.