Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 02-08-2003 , 09:00 AM

PC for 3D?

Hi all, Im considering buying a new pc and I figured why not just go for it and get something that will last me a while especially when I start learning and getting more into Maya.
I know I want a PC and I am pretty sure I will be running WindowsXP.
Ive read alot about multi processor machines being a great way to go but cant seem to find any reviews on the net and I know very little bit about what motherboard to get for a dual.
I was hoping you all may have some suggestions as far as any of the following PC Brand, place to buy from, what type/brand motherboard. Maybe some links I could explore.
All I know is Id like to get as fast of processors as possible and 2gigs or more of memory. I think dual processors would be good enough but would be interested in checking out boards with more.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

# 2 03-08-2003 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
Hey harvezter,

Well first of all you might want to search the forum for some threads about pc configs. But since you want a dual set up they probably won't help you much so here's my opinion:

1. Dual processors are great. I would sugget 2 Athlon 2600+
2. Don't by a pc from a brand. Buy all the parts yourself and build it or if you can't build it take it to a local pc retailer and they will do it for you. This will save you money and you will be able to chosse every single component that you are buying.
3. 2 gigs of memory is awesome but not really necessary. I have 1 gig and that suits me nicely.
4. Can't really help you with a motherboard but go to vendor's websites like gigabyte, asus and so on and look around.

5. if you have extra cash i would suggest an Opreton (dual). They are the new AMD processors and are 64 bit so they are futureproof. they are still compatible with 32 bit.

hope this helps.

Alex

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 3 03-08-2003 , 09:52 AM
Subscriber
or you could just buy a ready workstation from alienware. they let you have all you would need for maya. either in dual xeons or dual athlons. you just need to customize them to suit the 2 gb of ram and probably get rid off somethings you dont really need (e.g. no need to buy a scsi raid, unless you want to do a lot of video editiing). also they come with quadro fx - and it is hard to buy them alone and built a computer out of single parts with a quadro.

here is the link: https://www.alienware.com/workstation...fessional.aspx

# 4 03-08-2003 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by aldudeau
5. if you have extra cash i would suggest an Opreton (dual). They are the new AMD processors and are 64 bit so they are futureproof. they are still compatible with 32 bit.

hope this helps.

Alex

ahhhh.... the Opterons.... my dream user added image

I would love a system like that

-Emo

# 5 04-08-2003 , 02:10 AM
Thank you all for the info.

Ive gone to Alienware's site and have fallen in love with the MJ-12 DDR. However, I LOVE to play 3D games like BF1942 in my free time. The system mentioned above comes with a NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000 128MB 8x AGP w/Dual DVI and Im unsure if it will play games like BF well. Ive looked on the net but cant find anything that would let me know. Anyone have any ideas about how that card would handle games? I know I read something about pro graphic cards and 3D games in this forum but I cant find it.

Thanks Harvezter

# 6 04-08-2003 , 06:55 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Harvezter
Thank you all for the info.

Ive gone to Alienware's site and have fallen in love with the MJ-12 DDR. However, I LOVE to play 3D games like BF1942 in my free time. The system mentioned above comes with a NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000 128MB 8x AGP w/Dual DVI and Im unsure if it will play games like BF well.

it is not a gaming system. it might work well with games, but not as well as a even a lot less costly thing. you have to decide what is more important - maya or games. others might tell you that there is not need to have a quadro card, as a normal game card would work as well. system requirement for maya and games might be differant. and i am not sure you will find many that are willing to pay the premium for a quadro and play games much.

where is you priority? games or maya?

in case you are undecicive, just get a small, game opitmized single cpu pc for around $ 500 as your gaming platform and the mj-12 ddr as maya machine ...

# 7 04-08-2003 , 11:17 PM
from what ive experianced in maya and gaming the NVIDIA video cards are awsome...if you do alot of gaming then thay are great beacase the openGL abitities and 3d rendering and built in atianalising...for maya they are also great beacase if u do hardware rendering it can render any scene in about 5 seconds

i used to have a 400mhz system runing maya and some 3d games that laged abit even with the lowest graphics settings, but then i got a new NVIDIA video card and the performance of my system (3d wise) was atleast 10 times better maya ran way faster and all my games ran exelent on high graphics

about the dual processor that can boost rendering dramaticly beacase it alow maya to render two differant parts a a scene at the same time and mutitasking doesn't ever slow down the system(unless u have 40 maya windows open or something0

and geting 2 gigs af ram is alittle overkill unless u plan to have that computer for mor than 5 years

well good luck
hope my info was pointless

# 8 16-08-2003 , 09:42 PM
I am getting an MJ-12 ddr. should arrive soon, and I will be sure to tell you how it performs. here are the specs:

dual AMD 2.4 gig processors
1 gig ram
80mb HD space
nVidia Quadro FX 1000