Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 01-02-2014 , 08:06 PM

Thickness

Hello.

I would like to design the table from the image. I am having some problems giving thickness to the snail shell.
I extruded it (wasn't that pleased with the result but... it was better than nothing) and tried to smooth it. The result was a horror because there were to many edges and maya took them as a height difference.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...66752344_n.jpg

My question is:
1. How can i make the thickness better, without all the holes? (can i create edges between vertices)
2. How can i smooth the poly without making it look like a shell covered inside with spikes.

P.S. sorry about the question's noobness

# 2 01-02-2014 , 10:40 PM
Technical Director
One issue is that your model is triangulated. Smoothing doesn't work with triangles. The second is that you extruded your model with "Keep faces together" turned off.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.