Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 09-07-2006 , 09:49 PM

Batman Model

Hey everyone, been on a bit of a maya break so i thought i'd get back into things with some more modelling practice. Thought it would be cool to do a realistic model from an existing ref, so i chose this dude:

user added image

As there are so many different styles of batman i've decided to focus on the latest comic version drawn by doug mahnke.

Here is the progress so far, going slow, and just simple poly modelling at the moment

user added image user added image user added image

# 2 09-07-2006 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
Looks like you're making progress.

I've been considering trying to make a head starting with just a plane. Looks like you can be accurate with it.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 3 11-07-2006 , 03:15 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Rostoons

Check out Alex Ross's artwork for The Batman. Hes done some front and profile shots of the head and they are damn good. If you cant find them PM me and I'll send em over

Jay

# 4 25-07-2006 , 08:05 PM
Well, it's been a hectic week at the moment, so i appologise for the lack of updates, started jury duty this week, which is great fun (that's sarcasm by the way) and got back from showing my short animation at MPC in soho, which was also great fun (no sarcasm intended there).

Jay - I've seen some of alex ross' stuff, the guy is a master and his work is amazingly beatiful, i've got some stuff of his to help the reference, although i'm only working on one particular variation of batman, i was a real fan of mahnke's characterisation and am aiming to keep it close to that. thanks for the tip though.

right...not a great amount of work time has passed but here are more updates

user added image user added image user added image

# 5 25-07-2006 , 08:37 PM
Subscriber
This is looking cool already, I don't know how some of youguys can model just from extruding. I'd have to block out just to get the base. :-p

# 6 26-07-2006 , 05:12 AM
Subscriber
this is looking great and i appreciate the effort of running us pass the process bit by bit.
user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 7 27-07-2006 , 04:57 AM
Subscriber

# 8 27-07-2006 , 06:45 AM
Subscriber
great mesh, wire, whatever, looks great, how long you been doing maya.

what model did you learn organics on?

i'd love to be able to do something like this.

user added image user added image

are they planes or extrusions??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 9 27-07-2006 , 04:48 PM
thanks guys, i like that low poly model eldwick, always been a fan of dini and timm's batman.

mirek03 - i first started using maya in at the end of 2003 so about 2 and a quarter years now. This model started out as a single poly face, cut from a cube (not a fan of planes) and via extrusion, the amend to poly tool and the edge loop tool, i got to this stage. It's a method i used in my final year of uni and have grown accustomed to, originally all of my models were box modelled.

# 10 17-08-2006 , 08:46 PM
Subscriber
wow nice, keep up the great work....