Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 16-12-2003 , 10:09 PM

Big SubD texturing question

Okay, possible solution question first :

Is there a way to run smooth twice on a polygon model and then take the UV data, and apply it to the subdivision version of the original low-poly model?

The problem :

Whenever I convert a model from polygons to subdivisions, the textures get SCREWY. It keeps the old UV data, which worked fine on low polygon counts, but is unusable for a smooth model.

(for instance, I paint a texture in Photoshop, and smoothly brush in a curve. On the sub-D, the same curve loses any line consistency, getting thicker and thinner almost randomly.)

# 2 19-10-2006 , 08:31 AM
i've been having this same problem for a while now too. Have you found any solutions for this yet?
thanks

# 3 19-10-2006 , 02:41 PM
Senior Software Developer
It sounds like you are talking about texturing smooth polygon geometry and Sub-D geometry as if they are the same. user added image

Smooth Polygon is just a way to add more geometry to an existing low polygon object to give it a smoother look. This increases the polycount and will also increase the uv count, hence why your textures look wierd.

Working with Sub-D is different. You convert the existing low poly geometry to a new type of geometry called Sub-D (Modify > Convert > Polygons to Sub-D). Once this is done you can then go the Channel Box on the right and tell the Sub-D Model to "Inherit UV's from the Polygon Model". This will still cause issues with the texturing, but no way as severe as applying a low poly UV layout to a smooth poly object.

Hope this helps..

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 19-10-2006 , 04:44 PM
hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm actually not talking about using a low poly uv layout on a smoothed poly version (which works fine as long as you have smooth uvs on). I'm talking about using a poly uv layout then converting to subd and the texture gets a bit screwy. The thing also happens when in subd mode and laying out uvs.

It doesn't seem to happen on simple objects, but on anything that has an iregular shape it does look wierd, but it doesn't look wierd while the object is still polys.

hope this makes sense.
thanks

# 5 19-10-2006 , 06:06 PM
oh sorry i miss read your reply. do you know an easier way to get your subd textures looking right without having to manually moving verts around?