Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 26-11-2006 , 07:05 PM

fairground under the sea

Had to put things on hold to try and do a job for some friends in a local band who have asked me to try and build a web site for them. My idea is to take a fairground and have it half submerged in water. I still have a shed load of work to do on this to get the look and feel right and have a lot of detailing to do. I thought it would be a good project to do though since it will give me a chance to work with fluids. I intend to make the scene an evening one and have a moonlight glistening on the water and the exterior. Till I create the ocean though I have simply wacked in a panel with a semi transparent blinn to show roughly how deep it will be. This may well be raised since it is probably to shallow as it is.

Anyway here are some pics of things so far

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by leonlabyk; 26-11-2006 at 07:11 PM.
# 2 26-11-2006 , 07:08 PM
Here is the theatre interior so far. If anyone has any hints or links to make the chandeliers sparkle it would be much appreciated.

Attached Images
# 3 26-11-2006 , 07:12 PM
Here is the main screen area. Still needs a lot of details added.

Attached Images
# 4 26-11-2006 , 08:42 PM
Subscriber
Looks pretty good.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 5 28-11-2006 , 01:48 PM
Ok I have put in the ocean but it needs a lot of tweaking. For now I have simply used a image plane for the sky but intend to learn how to make the clouds. I am going to make a start on texturing the exterior next and hope it will make the scene look less bland.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 28-11-2006 , 01:50 PM
Here is how I intend on getting the exterior to look and hope I can achieve it. I am struggling to get the ocean to look like this though so any tips would be v-useful, also if anyone knows any good links for creating volumetric clouds it would be much appreciated.

Cheers Leon

Attached Images

Last edited by leonlabyk; 28-11-2006 at 01:52 PM.
# 7 28-11-2006 , 05:43 PM
i can't help but remark that the person that did the bottom image did a wonderful job and i can understand why you would want to recreate it, but the typefacing job on the 'rumiko jr' part is just awful. i'd try to keep with the time of the piece (like on the carousel) and either get something that looks like the individual letters that people used to put up on theater signs or something similar. definitely don't try to copy that part, it's crap.

Accept no substitutions.
# 8 28-11-2006 , 07:28 PM
cheers neo the bottom image is mine. It is the basic concept art for what I am trying to create. The reason for recreating this in maya is I hope to fully animate it for the bands web site. I want to have it so you click, say on the theatre and it will pan inside where there will be a gig guide and pics on the walls. At the top of the stairs will be a massive door which you can click on to go inside and watch live music on the big screen etc. Hopefully I can achieve the look I wan't only time will tell though.

# 9 28-11-2006 , 08:05 PM

# 10 30-11-2006 , 10:24 PM
I have got the clouds and moon looking how I wan't but the ocean still needs a lot of tweaking. I have taken out the carousel since it looks awfull at the moment and is going to need a lot of work with texturing and lighting to get the desired look. The type on the theatre is just a stand in for now. I hope to get on with some texturing over the weekend in the hope I can get things looking much better.

Crits and comments welcome and appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 05-12-2006 , 03:03 PM
I was'nt happy with the look of the carousel and so have re-modelled most of it and feel it is now looking much closer to how I had visioned it. Still needs some more work before I will be happy with it though.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 06-12-2006 , 03:55 AM
Done a bit more work on the carousel. Need to increase the lighting around the top and attach the lights since they are not in the scene currently.

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 06-12-2006 , 07:43 PM
carousel looks amazing! i think a good idea might be to have a texture with incandescence along the top ring aside from the row of lights above and below it...

is this going to be animated? if so, you can get REALLY creative with the way the lights flash and such...

Accept no substitutions.
# 14 07-12-2006 , 01:03 PM
Just read your post neo, I will get on it later. I have put it in the scene for now and will set to work on the lighting this evening. The mirrors inside are also not reflecting the carousel propely so will need to work on this to. I hope to animate everything in this scene and give it a slightly eerie feel. I rekon the exterior is about 75 percent complete and hope I can get it close to 100% over the weekend.
I must admit I am getting very eager to start animating this though.

Attached Images

Last edited by leonlabyk; 07-12-2006 at 06:39 PM.
# 15 15-04-2007 , 10:37 PM
Got a decent render of this the other day, I think I can call it finished now. I hope to do a batch render of it animated when I can afford to get a new comp since my current one can't handle it.

Attached Thumbnails