Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 27-05-2008 , 02:14 PM
Subscriber

speed up simulation?

Is there a way to speed up the simulation done using dynamics? no particles are used, just a ball hitting domino's but about half way through the domino's it slows right now, take about 20 minutes or so to simulate from frame 1 to frame 300. I have to keep simulating this over with every little adjustment and 20 minutes of waiting is a long time for something that seems so small.

ps, I did post this in my WiP thread in the challenge forum but still haven't gotten an answer so I figured I'd try here in the dynamics forum. Sorry for the double post.

# 2 27-05-2008 , 03:03 PM
No problemuser added image

And by the way, as I've said before to others I personally cannot help out challengers with their projects, as that would seem unfair to the other challengersuser added image
But that rule is just for me, not for everyone elseuser added image

HOWEVER when a generic question is posted here, then it's fair game!! hehe.. user added image

Anyhoo, the first thing that sprang into my mind when I heard about your issue:

1. FOR ALL OF YOUR DOMINOS:
In your geometry "Rigid Body" attributes in the Performance Rollout, set your
"Stand In" setting to "Cube" and set your "Apply Force At" setting to "boundingBox" for ALL of your dominoes.

You should be able to simply select them all and change the values in the channel box for all of them at once.
otherwise, the Attribute Spreadsheet is good for this as well.

If it is set to none, and the "ApplyForceAt" is set to verticesORCV's then the solving will take FOREVER as it is taking all of the extra unneeded geometry into account for the sim.

For dominoes, and most hard-bodied impact simulations, straight-up cube or sphere "stand-in" works SUPER fast and solves just as accurately for most cases.

Try that first and let us know if it helped your playback speed anyuser added image

Also, keep in mind that if your scene has a LOT of geometry collisions, things WILL take longer to sim, and you may need to cache it first.

Ok, now for your second part:
How to speed-up a dynamic simulation.

The best and easiest way is to cache your sim, then select your geometry or particles, and make them a character in the Trax Editoruser added image

Once they are in the Trax Editor, you can simply lengthen or shorten your sim, or speed it up, or slow it down as well.

Check the help on using the Trax Editor.

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 27-05-2008 , 03:34 PM
Subscriber
thank you very much, the bounding box sped it up a lot! Thank you very much I'll keep the trax editor part in mind for a later time if needed... thanks again.

# 4 27-05-2008 , 04:58 PM
No problemuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 03-06-2008 , 01:52 AM
Hi Camel,

if you have to tweak only the end of the domino sequence, I'd probably save the scene to another file, let the simulation calculate up to the frame where your fine-tuning starts and then set this as initial state. You can save a lot of time and it will behave exactly like before just without having to recalculate everything.

When everything is fine, the cache is very useful to get a fast playback (or maybe a playblast).