Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 13-12-2006 , 09:31 AM

Tricky double sided shader problem

Can someone help me here? I'm trying to get a tricky (well, I think it's tricky anyway) variant of the double sided shader happening.

Heck, I don't even know if it's possible!

The concept is to have a shader with separate colour and transparency on both sides. I can do that, no problem.

But what I need to do is have it so looking through the side of one shader NEGATES any presence of the shader on the other side.
Or turns off the double-sided shader, so it looks like a typical shader.
Or makes the other side of the double sided shader have the same colour and transparency as the first side.
But an unobstructed view to the other side of the shader will show the second material.

Does this make sense? Is it doable? Can anybody help me out?

user added image
The inside of this sphere has one material, with zero transparency, while the outside has a different material with 50% transparency.

# 2 13-12-2006 , 09:44 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Now Ive come across this before, my first question is, is this a nurb or poly sphere?

Jay