Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 29-01-2003 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber

aaarrrg, once again another q.

Ok, so sorry for all these questions and im trying to limit them to as little as possible and only asking the ones i am really stuck on. Anyways i have looked through mayas help stuff and searched for keywords.. but ok this is where i am at. I have a body thats very weird in shape and i want to attatch it to the hips. Now The hips have a good cylinder type design and are smaller than the body so i deleted the top faces of the object and i want to attatch it to the body. But the best way i can think of doing this would be to use a split poly tool and make edges in the same shape as the hips on the body (by the part i want to attatch) yet i dont want to eyeball this and just be "trying" to make a correct match. Now this is my question

Can I duplicate edges and then attatch them to another object? So can i duplicate the edges of my waist, and then attatch those to my body so that i can then delete out the middle of those faces and attatch the verticies? Thanks.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 2 29-01-2003 , 01:52 AM
Subscriber
I don't think you can duplicate edges. If I were doing it, I would count how many vertices you have on one object, then use plit poly tool to make more vertices on the other object. This way, you know both objects have he same amount of vertices and can be succesfully attached.

# 3 29-01-2003 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber
sigh, alright.. thanks darkware. I will take that approach then. user added image if anyone knows that they can duplicate edges then i would like to know. But darkware, thanks i will be doing this on my golem model in the challenges forum :p. Hope it comes out alright.

# 4 29-01-2003 , 02:02 AM
Subscriber
If Maya likes the geometry, you might be able to use boolean union. Keep in mind, though that boolean will delete your objects if it can't correctly perform the operation. Just Ctrl + Z to undo it, though.

# 5 29-01-2003 , 03:35 AM
The Maya Mountain
when attaching polygon objects, I generally snap vertices together, combine, merge vertices, soften edges (in that order).

I've got a vid talking about this sorta at my site. user added image

# 6 29-01-2003 , 04:09 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Mike! I actually do those exact same steps to attatch objects, I will have to check out your videos tonight before i keep modelling, i will probably learn a lot. user added image. I learned how to do those steps combining help files on maya and the hand tutorial part 2. Its really about time i buy some points! Dont worry, i will hand select some of them, not download each one on the same day, that would kill bandwidth.. heh. Thanks for the help mike and darkware, its now done and i move onto the legs and arms for my project.... this is great, i love modelling.. even if it is crap.