Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 12-05-2003 , 04:08 PM

What is GI Joe ???

Hi?
What is GI Joe? Is it a renderer? Is it freeware? Where can I find it? Where can I find informations about it? A lot of questions, but I know that you have the answersuser added image.

CU morpher
# 2 12-05-2003 , 04:10 PM

Please check
My (old) website!
# 3 12-05-2003 , 04:46 PM
Subscriber
GI joe is the real american hero! www.gijoe.com **Just kidding**

Check out the link Brian has left!

# 4 13-05-2003 , 12:29 AM
Is GIJoe avail. for OS X? I couldn't find anything on their amazingly difficult to navigate website. =\

---
https://www.bigfatonline.com
# 5 13-05-2003 , 01:21 AM
GI_Joe simulates Global Illumination. If you don't know what that is, do some searching around the lighting/rendering forum. You'll also find more info on GI_joe there.

The script was developed for PC and to be honest, I don't know how Maya's directories are set up on Mac so I couldn't tell you what you'd have to do to convert it. I suppose conversion is possible, though. (In the script itself, you have to edit the script to reflect your maya directories).

Just curious: If you don't even know what it is, why are you so eager to get it? It's not like it's a cure-all that will make your scenes beautifully lit or anything. It has it's place of course, but a tendency of people new to maya, especially on the forums, is that they see a more advanced user using it, then think "If I use it, my scenes will just as good." That's not really the case. Take the time and learn the art of basic 3-point lighting first and build from there.

Just my .02

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 13-05-2003 at 01:25 AM.
# 6 13-05-2003 , 09:47 AM
Thx for the answers. I did know that the GI in GI Joe does stand for global illumination and I know what is is for. My problem was that I couldn't find a link with googleuser added image. I haven't been sure if it is free or not, but brian's link gave me all the answers to my questions. THX again.

CU morpher
# 7 13-05-2003 , 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Bigfat
Is GIJoe avail. for OS X? I couldn't find anything on their amazingly difficult to navigate website. =\

Since GI_Joe is simply a mel script, it works fine with OS X. Here is a thread related to this:

https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthr...&threadid=5484

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 8 13-05-2003 , 11:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NitroLiq
[B]Take the time and learn the art of basic 3-point lighting first and build from there.

NitroLiq:
Can I ask you what consists this 3-point lighting method you consider basic? Sorry if it sound silly - of course it's meant to use 3 lights - but as I never heard about it, I wish to know more about this lighting concept that you say it's basic.

Very grateful, indeed.

Mário.

:bgreen:
# 9 14-05-2003 , 12:47 AM
No Probz, if u don't know that.... i could explain it briefly though...

the main concept is that you use 3 main Lights to lit your scene properly...
one is a light comin from an angle , from front , focusing on your key product... that is Called Key Light... u use higher intensity low cone angle that it only covers the Main product/Character....

Second is called Fill Light.... it omits from another angle perhaps and covers larger area to fill the whole/ max environment but u keep less intensity

the Third One is called Kicker... u usually put it behind the Main character... to remove the dark outline which will be at the back of the character....

Hope that helps.....

P.S:: in 3d softwares light does not shatter and reach every part of that scene ...as in reality.... for that purpose what i do is create lots of lights with very low intensity to give the feell that the light is reachin and i don' t have any other source of light emition....

# 10 14-05-2003 , 01:02 AM
Learning everywhere, everytime...

Thanks again.

Mário.

:bgreen: