Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 20-01-2007 , 05:55 PM
Subscriber

Wheels

I have taken an image of a tank (from a certain game) and I am working on modeling it. All I have right now is some of the wheels. I still have some modeling to do, and I have to change the shaders a little. So your questions/comments/critisism would be great!

And please try to ignore the Maya PLE Alias plastered all over.

Attached Images

Open your eyes... Someone or something powerful created these creatures, these draconians... This is a war of conquest... This is the portent of the fallen stars... We face a foe who seeks, at the very least, to enslave us, or perhaps destroy us completely.

Last edited by TheFourRiders; 20-01-2007 at 05:57 PM.
# 2 20-01-2007 , 05:58 PM
Subscriber
Here is another view...

Attached Images

Open your eyes... Someone or something powerful created these creatures, these draconians... This is a war of conquest... This is the portent of the fallen stars... We face a foe who seeks, at the very least, to enslave us, or perhaps destroy us completely.
# 3 20-01-2007 , 06:01 PM
Subscriber
And a third view...

Attached Images

# 4 20-01-2007 , 06:02 PM
Subscriber
Here is another view with a different HDRI map...

Attached Images

# 5 20-01-2007 , 06:39 PM
Subscriber
Just a suggestion: if you plan to model a tank, call the thread 'tank' not 'wheels' user added image Saves you having to make a new thread every time you make a new part for it.

I can tell you've just learnt how to use mental ray and hdri's, which is fine, but it's a bit early for that, get cracking on the modelling before you get too excited about renders! At this stage we'd rather see wireframes and simple shaded screen captures.

Looks fine so far, keep going!

# 6 20-01-2007 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
well you have teached me something today. i thought maya ple only came with softwear and hardwear rendering.

looks cool so far but as he said we need some wires, apart from that they look like tank wheels

# 7 20-01-2007 , 11:42 PM
Smooth out those edges on those cylinders and bevel the edges on the tread covers slightly for a more natural look. Nothin man made has a razor sharp edge... unless it's a razor. user added image

If you're going for low-poly, it's way too high. And if you're going for hi-poly, it's way too low.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu