Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 06-10-2007 , 04:20 AM
Subscriber

I must complete something

Alright so I always start projects and then stop half way through them. I basically know up to uv'ing, not that well but I know it. I'm going to create a character, possibly a cartoon me. Which I'm going to attempt to go further than ever before. RIGGING and ANIMATING! *plays scary music*
I'm following the low poly rig tutorial from here and am going to make my own adjustments and probably not going to stick to the complete low poly. Then I'm going to learn hair and put hair on the character. After that I will learn how to rig a character, and do facial rigging. And then from there I will attempt the oh-so-scary animation. I want to create a short, I have an idea down but I don't want to reveal it quite yet since it's still in the works.

So far after about an hour of work, I shaped it out and converted nurbs to poly's next step to block out the hands, according to the intro to the next part of the video. From there I don't know where we're going but I must complete at least one project all the way through so I can get into actually animating. Looks rewarding to actually finish it.

user added image

# 2 06-10-2007 , 06:48 AM
Subscriber
worked some more, I guess the feel I'm going for is cartoon style. I'm also going to try to learn cloth so I can put some clothes on this guy

started a little work on the face, made the hands, connected the majority of it together, head and neck, arms body and legs all connected. Still have to connect the neck to the body.
user added image

# 3 06-10-2007 , 09:02 AM
alot to learn user added image

# 4 06-10-2007 , 06:17 PM
Subscriber
yes it is a lot to learn, but I need and want to learn it. I have all the necessary tutorials and information to hopefully guide me. Plus I have this forum which is always very helpful. I'm hoping to at least have the rigging done by thursday or friday, maybe sooner.

# 5 07-10-2007 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
user added image
user added image

theres a few more updates.

# 6 07-10-2007 , 01:43 AM
Subscriber
when going to do hair does it really matter if it's hair or fur? I kind of know a little bit about fur and know nothing about hair at the moment, and I'm just curious to know if ones better than the other? Thanks.

few more pics before diving into uv layout

These are after a poly smooth which is whats going to complete the character for final product.

user added image
user added image
user added image

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 07-10-2007 at 01:55 AM.
# 7 07-10-2007 , 06:18 AM
Subscriber
well it's just about 2am and I'm finally done tweaking and laying out UV's, onto the texturing tomorrow.

user added image
user added image

# 8 07-10-2007 , 07:01 AM
looks like a good start rhetoric. you might want to spend a bit more time laying out your UVs though- you could make your head UVs quite a bit bigger - as it looks like you have quite a bit of wasted space.

# 9 07-10-2007 , 07:57 AM
Yeah I would agree with Arran.

Also are you going to use a wrap deformer to drive the higl poly character with the low poly?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 07-10-2007 , 03:10 PM
Subscriber
thanks for the comments, and yes I plan to tweak uv's a bit more today, since I just wanted to go to bed last night by the time I got this far.

my turn for the question now since I need to answer your question with another question.

"Also are you going to use a wrap deformer to drive the higl poly character with the low poly?"

what is a wrap deformer?
my plan is to uv and texture this guy, then use the poly smooth to finish it. Is there something I'm missing in this process? Not possible to do correctly or something? Just curious, I don't want to end up with a lot of trouble on my hands to find out that I forgot something along the way.

# 11 08-10-2007 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
well I'm into photoshop.
I decided it would be cool to use actual colors and look of skin in this project. So I took out my new 7.1 megapixel digital camera, turned on the manual settings, set it for close range pictures, shined my desk lamp at myself and took pictures of my face and my body my eyes and my lips, To get the colors in this. I did a quick test after applying the colors for the face and eyes. I didn't blend any shapes together yet, just laid them out, heres what I have so far.

user added image

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 08-10-2007 at 12:42 AM.
# 12 08-10-2007 , 01:11 AM
Subscriber
some more texturing added real quick, still have to go in and do the little touches

user added image

# 13 08-10-2007 , 03:17 AM
Subscriber
and now I'm calling it quits for the night, don't know how much more of this I need to do other than fixing the eyes and a bump map maybe? Then it's time to start learning rigging, hair and cloth.

user added image

# 14 08-10-2007 , 05:43 AM
Hi Mike

A wrap deformer allows you to use a low poly mesh (such as a rigged and weight painted character) to drive a high poly mesh, this way you create the wrap then hide the high poly, animate, then at render time just hide the low poly and unhide the high.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 15 08-10-2007 , 12:08 PM
Subscriber
oooh, no I'm not planning on using anything like that, just the poly smoothed version and that's it. Although that doesn't sound like such a bad idea.