Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-05-2017 , 05:04 AM

Urgent Help

Hi Guys, can anyone shed some light on what is happening with the normals/normal map on my model below?

The fist image has major artifact issue and doesn't have smooth mesh preview. The second has smooth mesh preview and no artifacts.

The base model is quite high in polygons for a game asset so there is not issue with a lack of GEO. I have never come across this before any help?

Andy

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-05-2017 , 04:11 PM
Subscriber
Difficult to say when I don't have the model in Maya in front of me but I think it has something to do with your UV's and not your normal map. I had something similair last week when I had a good looking UV map but in the viewport everything was totally messed up. I solved the issue by redoing the UV's. It was a simple object so it was easy enough with some automatic mapping. It could be that you have the same problem.

Another option is to duplicate the mesh and delete the Original. I have had numerous occassions where Maya completely messes up and by just duplicating the mesh the problem was solved.

But like I said I can't rely tell from just those 2 images what's going on. You could try my 2 suggestions. If that doesn't work you could send it to me and can take a look

# 3 15-05-2017 , 01:06 AM
First glance it looks like flipped normal's or uvs. You can try try conforming your normal's. Ive had a few issues like that and it was either uv's on top of each other or green channel in the normal map. Martel has good suggestions as well.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 15-05-2017 , 11:17 AM
Thanks Guys, the winner is Kurt! For some reason that makes no sense, the normals had flipped over but only on random faces not the entire model so with some careful selection I was able to reverse the individual faces to keep the normal map clean without smooth mesh.

Thanks for taking the time, it is much appreciated.

Andy

# 5 15-05-2017 , 02:31 PM
Ya the newer version of Maya seem to do that a lot, not sure if its a bug or not. Glad you figured it out.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb