Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 91 09-03-2006 , 12:54 PM
Fink I will when I finally get some stuff rendered!!

Cheers for that linkey.

# 92 09-03-2006 , 01:09 PM
Subscriber
Anytime mate.

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 93 09-03-2006 , 11:02 PM
Subscriber
Just thought I would post an update of what I have done so far.

Duplicated view of the bridge, looking pretty smart now.

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 94 09-03-2006 , 11:04 PM
Subscriber
Jesus!! thats detailed my friend user added image great work mr livid.

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 95 09-03-2006 , 11:04 PM
Subscriber
The sensor globe and other stuff, puts it in a different light having both sides I think.

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 96 09-03-2006 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber
Back view (ish).

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 97 09-03-2006 , 11:17 PM
Subscriber
hey tim check your PM

# 98 09-03-2006 , 11:18 PM
Subscriber
Back view, quite like this view.

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 99 09-03-2006 , 11:20 PM
Subscriber
Final view for tonight. I spent some of today cutting into the hull and making it a bit messed up (like the original).

Tomorrow in going to do some of the hull detail and then work of the other levels. That should keep me busy for a while.

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 100 10-03-2006 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber
truly amazing; man you are fast. You'd be good on a dead line. There must be some competion out there if your getting knocked back like that. It's just a matter of time, I think this work has limited seats, propably have to wait for someone to die to get a job. ????

It's hard to cope with rejection of any sort, sometimes its just social polotics, nothing to do with your ability. Hard not to be affected, you must have worked it off on your model. Amazing. truly amazing, a lot of work.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 101 10-03-2006 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber
Come on Tim, you could have put a bit of effort in there!! user added image

That back view is great, it gives a sense of scale. The poly count is understandably large, any guesses how heavy the finished model is going to be? Keep up the good stuff.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 102 10-03-2006 , 10:05 AM
Subscriber
I have no guess nor would I want to, as I have probably said before. If I was really hot at texturing I might not have had to do all this detail. It would be useless if I wanted to put it into a game but I just want it to look at close to the film as possible.

I remember watching Star Wars and being amazed by two things when it came to the ship.

1- That they were so detailed, you could look at every frame and see something new. It's not like the smooth sleek ships of Star Trek but these dirty industrial hulks cutting their way through space.

2- That someone actually sat dawn and made these thing in a garage somewhere. I think that 3D models can take away some of the magic I think (I did in the later film but there was a lot more to blame). Watching those amazing things was all the more amazing when you knew that they were real.

On the job front ... well I will of course stick at it. I can't go back to working at a shop full time and just doing this as a hobbies. I have invested too much of my life just too give up at the first try.

On the subject of death, it is Klingon custom to kill your superior to get promoted. I wonder if that can be applied to killing someone just to get their job. :attn:

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 103 10-03-2006 , 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Tim_LIVID

On the subject of death, it is Klingon custom to kill your superior to get promoted. I wonder if that can be applied to killing someone just to get their job. :attn:

Dude if that was the case at my last place of work I would have done it more for pleasure than the promotion

# 104 10-03-2006 , 12:11 PM
Subscriber
It's not only that someone got their hands dirty making the models for the early starwars movies that blew me away, it's their ingenuity. They made everyday objects, up turned cups, hair dryers etc, into those classic spaceships that pretty much everyone can identify today. Even if you were shit hot at texturing I still don't rekon you would get the same feel of weight as you do when you build a high poly model.

It would be interesting to see what the surface sampler in Maya would make of your finished piece.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 105 10-03-2006 , 12:21 PM
Subscriber
So true mate, hopefully that sort of talent wont be a lost art.

This may sound like a n00b question byt what is surface sampler ?

Optical Minefield
My Blog